Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Weaning - what to do about mornings?

Default Pump Weaning - what to do about mornings?

Hi - so over the next month and half I want to finally wean from the pump at work. I go into work before my song wakes up. On saturday and sunday when he sees me first thing in the morning he wants to nurse. I can't wrap my head around pump weaning and still nursing saturday/sunday morning? Or do I just accept I may not have milk then? My son is one and I feel by mid may or beginning of June I will give up pumping. Maybe it will be a mute point by then but I'm curious if anyone else had a similiar schedule. It seems most moms take their kids to daycare in the morning. If I did that I wouldn't be home in time for bedtime.

Default Re: Pump Weaning - what to do about mornings?

There's no reason you can't continue nursing once you've stopped pumping at work. I'm a little unclear on how much you are nursing at home - do you normally nurse in the evenings/overnight on weekdays? If that's the case, then you would be maintaining your supply with your evening/nighttime nursing, and there will be milk available on weekend mornings. As an example, I pump weaned at a year, so I normally don't nurse during working hours during the week, but LO (now two) usually wants to nurse throughout the day on the weekends. A lactating breast is never empty so whenever baby wants to nurse, there will be milk in there. Weekend nursing is also great for maintaining supply once you pump wean. Also, I just want to point out that if you wanted to nurse a bit more once you've stopped pumping, in order to maintain supply, there's no harm in nursing your son before you go to work. He may not even fully wake up. On mornings when I have to go to work early that's what I do. Or if I come home late after my LO has gone to bed, I nurse her and put her back to bed. Congrats on a year of nursing, that's wonderful!

Default Re: Pump Weaning - what to do about mornings?

Thanks. Currently we nurse when we get home, before bed, and he usually wakes up once a night. On weekends of course I nurse in the morning, before naps, and then when he wants to nurse.

He usually just nurses one side before bed and then I do the ohter side at night. So when I pump in the morning the side he nursed at night has a lot of milk. I guess I should try to make a point if he wakes up to have him nurse both sides or like you said just pick him up and nurse before I leave so I can stay comfortable at work. I also have been present at bedtime everyday and I was thinking about what if I am not there - do I pump when I get home? I don't know why I didn't think just to nurse and put him back to bed. Thanks!