Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refluxing a lot, but don't want to feed less..

Default Refluxing a lot, but don't want to feed less..

I have a reflux baby, almost 4 months old. She is EBF and in day care full time, gets Zantac 2x a day, and is only about 12 pounds. I am working and trying to keep up my supply and solidify breastfeeding relationship by nursing her tons on evenings and weekends. The problem? She seems to overeat and spit a ton of it up! I have heard that for babies who tend to spit up a lot, it's best to feed them a little at a time and take breaks, but the marathon nursing sessions are what keeps the supply up. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Refluxing a lot, but don't want to feed less..

I think the best thing to do is to not worry about the spit-up. In an otherwise healthy baby, it's a laundry problem, not a health problem. In a baby with reflux, think of it as an indicator- something that says "yes, my baby has reflux!"- instead of a health problem in and of itself.

With a smaller baby, you don't want to restrict feedings in any way, even if that means she sometimes overfills her tummy and then spits up. But you could try pausing the feeding and giving her a good burp, and then putting her back on the breast for more nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Refluxing a lot, but don't want to feed less..

Gerber prefold diapers make terrible diapers, but GREAT spit rags for a happy chucker We went through at least one per feeding with DS2...