Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very new mom with engorgement

Default Very new mom with engorgement

Please help! We took our son home yesterday and he was breast feeding and latching well until yesterday early evening. He suddenly won't latch for more than a few seconds now and practically has a panic attack when my nipple comes near him. I have been pumping every 2 to 3 hours today since 9:30 am and feeding him with syringes, about 10 ml every 2 hours. Is there anyway to successfully breast feed while engorged or do I need to wait until they soften? How can I make this engorgement go away? He is 4 days old FYI.

Default Re: Very new mom with engorgement

Congrats on the new baby! I take it your milk has come in! I remember when mine came in, I felt so engorged that my breasts got in the way of putting my arms down. It did get better with time. In the meantime though, I would say to avoid pumping if at all possible. Instead, try just hand expressing a little into a bottle or burp cloth, just to soften things so baby can latch on better. It's great that you're avoiding bottles and doing syringes, but keep trying at the breast too -your baby is still so young, and it's not unusual for it to take a little while for you both to get the hang of nursing!

How do I hand express? I've tried squeezing my nipple and only a pin head sized drop will appear...I squeeze pretty hard.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html best video ever on hand expression. Even my IBCLC in the hospital referred me to it (although I had already seen it).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

When you figure out hand expression try doing it in the shower with warm water running on your breasts. This will help soften the breasts for baby to latch. After he has nursed you can use a cold pack to help reduce pain and inflammation.

Watch out for signs of mastitis - fever or feeling feverish with red, hot, hard breasts.

Yes there is a way to help baby latch when you are engorged. It is called reverse pressure softening. Look at the article on this site I think it is called engorgement FAQs. It has a full description and diagrams of reverse pressure softening.
    You can also try things like the breast sandwich technique and different positions to help baby latch in general both when you are engorged and when you're not engorged. However much baby will nurse encourage baby to nurse. Frequent effective milk removal is very important when dealing with engorgement. As previous posters have mentioned, pumping can actually make this situation a little bit worse for a couple of reasons. However if the only way to get the milk out is the pump then pump. When pumping I would suggest think about pumping with lots of frequency for shorter periods each time rather than infrequently for longer periods. You don't want to go down this road of pumping rather than nursing if you can avoid it. I strongly suggest if you can't get baby nursing frequently again on your own in the next day or two, you see a board-certified lactation consultant or a peer support volunteer like a LLL leader if that is at all possible for you.

Thanks for your replies. I tried the reverse pressure and can hand express. Baby began breast feeding yesterday morning again and he had 10 feedings! He is a totally different baby now, too...his disposition is much calmer and happier. I also made some frozen nursing pads to act as cold compresses and I think they really help with swelling.

Congratulations both on the new baby and being successful at expressing! Hope everything goes well from here.