Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: distractability in 7 mo old

Default distractability in 7 mo old

My one baby is so distracted some times and also fussy at breast and pulls off. I don't know - it halfway feels like a nursing strike but sometimes he just needs a burp. He will stay on more with the lactation aid so I don't know if he's a little angry about the slow flow or it's a combination of factors. He and his twin sleep with me and nurse at least 4-6x/night so my question is how much do I worry about a cruddy feeding here and there during the day? I do not want my supply to suffer. I went into the dark bedroom today and it did nothing for his pulling off and on. I am nursing him as I type and he's sleepy and doing fine but wide awake it's off/on many many times with fussing sometimes and sometimes not fussing just looking around. They are 7 mos old.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: distractability in 7 mo old

Any ideas? I just really don't want them to stop gaining or my supply to crash. They have started solids.

Sorry krystine, somehow I missed your first post! It sounds like really typical 7 month old behavior (actually it sounds like typical behavior for the second half of year one). Too much other interesting stuff to do and see during the day! If it's only an occasional feeding here and there that's actually better than some 7 months old who barely nurse at all during the day and do all their nursing at night. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they (or just one of them) don't feed well for some of the daytime feedings they will make up for it at night. I guess you could also try to take more advantage of naptime nursing too - are you napping with them?

Yes, they both nurse down to nap and a couple of times during. Right now our cat is right next to us washing his paws and distracting him! Arg. He latches, pops off, latches, off, over and over....

I know, it's frustrating. But normal! It sounds like you're doing all the right things, there isn't really anything else you can do.

Yeah....I did take him back to bed this evening because I was getting so upset and he did OK. I know he's just learning and everything but it makes it hard. Oh well. I just am tired of worrying about my supply and everything even though I know there are babies who don't nurse all night long at this age (and many who do).

They've been doing so well with their growth, I think it's really unlikely at this point that your supply is going to dip because of some distractible nursing, you know?

How are things going with solids?

They like solids a lot! They're still getting some donor milk; I had cut it back a little but then my bigger twin stopped gaining wt so this past week I've upped his donor milk and he's feeling heavier. I'll weigh him next week at twin group.

They nursed hourly last night so hopefully that helps. I am sort of dreading pumping at work tomorrow because I'm afraid I won't get as much. I know it's crazy and I wish I could just let go of worrying about supply. They're 7.5 mos, you'd think I could let it go.

That's great that they're liking their solids! I don't see you letting go of your supply worries until a year. At least. Try not to think too much about pump output though, it's not good for letdown. Hope your work day goes by fast tomorrow.

Sounds like everything is awesome!

And honestly, I don't think I personally stopped worrying about my supply until after the year point. Heck, I even worried about it after the year point, because even though my daughter was eating a ton of solids, she still really loved nursing and really wanted a good bit of expressed milk during the day while I was at work.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!