Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypothyroidism and nursing

Default Re: Hypothyroidism and nursing

Well, I was ignoring the tiredness but the itchiness scared me. On my drug sheet it lists symptoms of a reaction and those with others were on there. I am still extremely itchy and taking Benadryl which also does not help with being tired. Did you have any symptoms like the ones I have?
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

Not itchiness, but I did have a racing heart, palpitations, sleep disturbances, and some very severe anxiety (verging on panic attacks). I think that given your symptoms, it's good that you called your doc and temporarily stopped the medication. But I don't think you should be so discouraged! Getting back to normal is a process and you're only at the very beginning of it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am hoping to get back to normal soon. I am not even sure what normal is anymore.
    Jaime

Argh, I had this whole long post and my stupid iPod lost it :/ Anyways, I have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid. There is one other option that you may want to research--desiccated pig thyroid. It's a natural source of the same hormones, and if you're having a reaction with Synthroid maybe you would respond better to this. It can be hard to find a provider who will prescribe it, because it's trickier to dose and considered a bit old-fashioned, but you can look for an endocrinologist who is willing to work through it with you. I wanted to try it and had an endocrinologist who would have prescribed it, but we chose to stick with Synthroid because I was pregnant--there is a lot more data on Synthroid during pregnancy, and miscarriage from low hormones while experimenting with porcine thyroid was a risk I didn't want to take.

I know taking pills (of whatever kind) is a bummer, but thyroid affects tons of stuff, so it's worth having it well managed -- don't despair, mama

Thank you reading mom, I did read about that in my research.

I think I am still in disbelief but as I said...if the pill will help me... I will take it. I won't say I won't complain about it though

I messaged a friend from high school last night who is a professor of pharmacology and asked him how I could be allergic to a medication that is so similar and replacing something in my body. He really did not have an answer but said that maybe the dye in the pill or another additive...lactose for example...even though I have never had an allergy to anything in the past.

I am still taking the Benadryl off and on because I am still itchy. I was told it would take a few days to get out of my system. And, the Benadryl doesn't help with the tiredness I am still experiencing.

I guess one day at a time. I still wonder if something else could have raised my TSH when I had the bloodwork done. At first I could not afford the blood test and so I started eating more sushi and tried seaweed salad to get some extra iodine in my body. I was also craving salty food and have been feeling dehydrated (which I guess could cause the salt craving too). I have been under a lot of stress lately but looking at the numbers I doubt any of that could have raised it as high as it was. I am also still having discomfort in my calf muscles (the right calf is actually sensitive to touch) but my doctor has not seemed even the least bit concerned about this.

I am going to try to find out which endocrinologists are covered by my insurance and see if my family doctor recommends me going to one. I took out the only 3 books on thyroid at my library and I am trying to educate myself. I tried explaining to my husband... it is hard when someone tells you that there is something wrong with you, something that you have no control over and something that you can never change. I am still stuck on that and it makes me sad. Many diseases run in my family, cancer, heart disease, diabetes...but all I have been trying to reduce my chances of getting by eating healthy, exercising...etc. This came in out of the blue and I cannot do anything about it.

I would still like to have another baby and that scares me too. I know that the synthroid is safe for pregnancy but if I am having an allergic reaction to it...now what? And, if I have been hypothyroid for years without knowing it...I wonder what that has done to my body and if I can even get pregnant again. A lot of wonder that only time will answer.

It is comforting to hear about others who are dealing with this too. Thank you so much for your comments. <3
    Jaime

If you did have a transient elevation in TSH true to some weird dietary factor (which seems unlikely to me) or the machine was off and you got the wrong result on your bloodwork (also unlikely), then it will probably get picked up in the next round of bloodwork. You should probably expect to do a yearly test for thyroid function, and to test in shorter intervals when you aren't feeling quite right.

I know it's very hard to go from thinking of yourself as a "healthy" person to thinking of yourself as a "sick" person. But don't let it make you sad! You are still you. You are not at fault because you got this particular disorder. And if you're thinking "How can this happen to me? I did everything right!", please let that train of thought go for good. We live in a society that idolizes health and healthy choices- which is both good and bad. On the one hand, it encourages people to get off their butts and exercise, to not smoke, to avoid the triple bacon cheeseburgers, etc. On the other hand, the fact that we focus so hard on risk avoidance makes people feel like they must have done something wrong if they get sick. But we're all going to get old and sick and we're all going to die, no matter how many times we work out or how many salads we eat. We just have to accept that, and not let ourselves be defined by a particular state of health.

Are you going in to see your doctor again soon? I really hope that you are! Because in my experience, this is not something to just live with. You want to fix it, and if that means finding some special formula of Synthroid/levothyroxine/pig thyroid extract that works for you, it's worth doing!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am seeing my doctor on March 26th. It is weird because...I asked to get tested for this. After telling him my issues...not once did anyone suggest it. They also do not seem to be in any hurry to see me.

If he suggests I get more blood work I will do so. It is hard because my insurance is not very good and blood work costs me quite a bit. I did find a local lab that was a lot cheaper than the hospital.

I will post when I find out more information. Thanks so much!!! <3
    Jaime