Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply question for finishing the first breast

Default Oversupply question for finishing the first breast

Hi ladies-
    I spoke with a lactation consultant at WIC today who suggested that my baby's problems with gas and fussiness may be because of oversupply. She told me to feed him twice on one side so he gets to the hindmilk, instead of feeding on both sides. I'm following so far. But what if he acts full after a few minutes of nursing on the one side? I'm having trouble getting him to empty my breast before he's done eating. Should I continue to offer that breast at subsequent feedings? Thank you for your advice.

Default Re: Oversupply question for finishing the first breast

Another question I just thought of: should pumping at work be modified at all to accommodate for the oversupply? Or should I pump both sides as normal?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilovefinalfantasy View Post
    Hi ladies-
    I spoke with a lactation consultant at WIC today who suggested that my baby's problems with gas and fussiness may be because of oversupply. She told me to feed him twice on one side so he gets to the hindmilk, instead of feeding on both sides. I'm following so far. But what if he acts full after a few minutes of nursing on the one side? I'm having trouble getting him to empty my breast before he's done eating. Should I continue to offer that breast at subsequent feedings? Thank you for your advice.
    What other symptoms of oversupply does your baby have besides gas and fussiness? Those are pretty general to babies, but also being full after a few minutes of eating *might* indicate oversupply. Does your baby nurse eagerly or seem very fidgety and wound up during nursing? This was the single best thing I ever read about body language while babies nurse: http://www.mobimotherhood.org/milk-f...stfeeding.html

If you only offer the same breast each time you will drastically reduce your supply, which is something you may not want to do. How old is your baby? Your supply may be normal, so I would definitely not jump right into offering the same breast over and over (block feeding).

I had a very bad oversupply for months. I think it finally went away at like 6 months, but it would come back at times.

If this is what you are seeing then this is a good indication that you have oversupply issues http://www.mobimotherhood.org/fast-flow.html
    and Mama to two little girls

with the PP. Before you start block feeding- that is, using just one breast for 1 or more feedings in a row- you want to be 100% sure that you do have oversupply. Block feeding is designed to reduce milk supply, and it is possible to go too far. So please let us know what you're experiencing besides gas and fussiness. For example, are you engorged or feeling full on a regular basis? Leaking a lot? Pumping a lot of milk (if you are pumping)?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"