Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No weight gain

Default No weight gain

I took my LO for her 2 month check up and she lost weight instead of gaining. So now the pedestrian wants us to supplement with formula after every other feeding.

We have been EVFing for a month and a half. She has plenty of dirty diapers, seems content, bright eyed, and alert. She was 8lb 2oz at birth, dropped to 7lbs, then the dr had us supplement for 2 weeks to get her to 8lb 5oz. She weighed 8lbs 4oz after a month of EBF.

I can't supplement with breast milk because I only produce 1oz at a time. And I spend so much time breast feeding I don't have much time for anything else. Thoughts?

Default Re: No weight gain

I'm so sorry about the weigh-in, mama! I know that can come as a very unpleasant shock when you've been giving breastfeeding your all. I'm going to be annoying and answer your question with some more questions:

- Has proper weighing prove edited been followed at every appointment? (I.e. baby weighed in the nude, always using the same scale.)
    - Does baby seem larger to you? Has she changed sizes in her diapers or clothing?
    - How many times does baby nurse in a 24 hour period?
    - How does nursing feel?
    - How do you know you only produce 1 oz at a time?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

-We have had several weigh ins, all on the saSheme scale in her diaper. The only variation was the socks she wore some times.
    -She doesn't seem heavier when carrying, but she does look longer. She is still wearing NB diapers and her clothing hasn't changed.
    -She nurses 8-10 times in 24hrs
    -Nursing feels fine, no pain. I feel full in the morning and nursing relieves that sensation. I know I have milk.
    -When I pump, I only get one oz from both sides total. I have talked with my LC and we tried a few things to extract more milk, but it seems that one oz is my max.

I thought things were going well, especially since we had weaned her from formula before. My husband thinks her weight gain is more important than staying committed to BF. I want her to be healthy of course, but I would prefer formula not be in the equation. I don't want to lose my supply and I don't want her latch to get weak. I'm just frustrated because she seems fine, just a little under weight by national standards.

Since your baby has been properly weighed and hasn't changed sizes in diapers or clothing, I think we have to accept that the issue with weight gain is probably real. The first rule of breastfeeding is "Feed the baby." At this point, I think it's more important to get the baby gaining weight than to keep her exclusively breastfed. If that means formula, well, that's okay. It's not the end of the world and hopefully we'll be able to help you get back to exclusive nursing.

Here's what I suggest doing:
    1. Go see the LC again, or a different LC- ideally, you'd see someone who is an IBCLC. You want help with positioning, you want the LC to watch the baby nurse, watch you pump, and to do a weighed feed and to show you how to do one.
    2. Ask the LC about renting a professional scale that is accurate to the 1/10th of an oz, and a hospital-grade pump with correctly sized shields.
    3. Nurse the baby more frequently, if possible. You said she's nursing 8-10 times in 24 hours, and that's not bad but 8 is on the low end. I'd be a lot happier with 10-12 nursing sessions, or more if possible.
    4. Do weighed feeds at home. Basically, you weigh the baby, nurse the baby, and then weigh the baby at the end of the feeding. Subtract the before feeding weight from the post-feeding weight and you have a good idea of how much milk the baby took in while nursing. Ideally, you do this for most feedings for several days, because you want to know what baby takes in at an average feeding. One weighed feed is great, but intake can vary widely over the course of the day- that's why you want to bring the scale home with you.
    5. Pump frequently, using the hospital grade pump. If you're going to supplement, you want to be supplementing with your own expressed milk. And pumping is good for supply. My LC recommended pumping every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, for 10-20 minutes per breast.
    6. Supplement in a breastfeeding-supportive way. You want to use paced feeding techniques and supplement with appropriate amounts, maybe 1-2 oz at a feeding. You also want to nurse at the conclusion of the feeding, if possible- this will teach your baby to associate feelings of comfort and satiation with the breast rather than the bottle. You also want to look into getting an at-the-breast supplementer- Medela makes one called the supplemental nursing system, but there are other brands- which can allow you to do without bottles and the attendant risk of nipple confusion.
    7. Get your own health checked out. There are some physical issues that can cause difficulties with supply, including retained placenta fragments, PCOS, and thyroid problems. You want those ruled out.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"