Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oh no I missed a feeding !!!

Question Oh no I missed a feeding !!!

Hi y'all,
    I missed an early AM feeding and wanted to know if it's not safe to do so? My LO is 10 wks old and sleeps for long periods of time which I have to wake her to nurse. Last night I forgot to set an alarm, she isn't on a steady schedule with the caregiver so I time it based on how she had been eating throughout the day, and I missed an early AM feeding. She eats every 3-4 hours, so the feeding stretched to 5 hours. She woke me up bobing for me; we co-sleep. She wasn't fussy or crying as she was doing this and wasn't figorous when nursing.

Mom to 2 beautiful girls:

Michelle Antoinette 7/1/12
    Mia Ann 12/27/13

Default Re: Oh no I missed a feeding !!!

I also forgot to add that she gets fussy on my RB; she arches her back and pulls away. What does this mean? It happens regardless if the RB is engorged or not.

At 10 weeks if she is gaining weight well I would say you can stop setting an alarm and just feed her on demand. My LO is almost 8 weeks and slept a 6 hour stretch last night. Woke up wet and soiled, happy, not dehydrated. Shockingly I didn't wake up engorged or leaking. Looks like my supply is finally regulating itself to her longer sleep stretches at night.

Don't be surprised if she decides to eat more frequently during the day as her overnight feedings get further apart.

Back arching could be reflux. Does it vary at all based on the position she is in?

I had this experience with my LO when she was less than a month old and oh boy I was so worried. But she seemed fine so after missing a feed, I see to it that I feed her everytime she's hungry usually after 3-4 hrs. Let down might be the cause of the arching. Does it happen all the time?

It had been happening a lot lately on my RB only ... The doc did say she has reflux and that I need to incline her while feeding so I do.

We're not perfectly symmetrical beings, so it's pretty common for moms to have differences in supply and/or flow speed between breasts. It may be that your baby is getting blasted by a faster letdown on the right, or alternately she could be frustrated because she's getting a slower flow on the right.

Have you tried reclining while nursing? Laid-back positions can slow the flow of milk to the baby, and gravity will hold her on the breast as she nurses.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I use the cross craddle position

I have read so much about not waking your baby during the night to feed them if they are fast asleep but recently my pediatrician told me not to let my little one go more than 4 to 5 hours without eating at night. I will set my alarm after 5 hours of her last feeding and she is usually fast asleep and I have to work at getting her to eat. I'm confused as to which to do, set an alarm and feed her after 4 or 5 hours like my pediatrician said or wait for her to wake and cry and wake me up to eat. What is best for my baby?