Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost to the 2 year mark... :)

Default Almost to the 2 year mark... :)

DS3 will be 2 next week, and we are still nursing! I've never made it this far before. Would have with DS2, but his constant demand was driving me crazy and I left town for four days in order to wean him...can't say I'd do the same again, but at the time it seemed like the only option. Anyway, this time around has been different: I'm not trying to get pregnant again; I've been able to night-wean DS3 (never could with DS2) while continuing to nurse during the day; I'm just a more relaxed mom this time around than I was with my other two.

It's been fun At times I do get a little annoyed, like when he's begging to nurse and I'm trying to make dinner. But then when we finally are able to settle down together, it's good to have that "excuse" to take a break.

Our grocery budget is really tight right now, and not having to spend a bunch of money on milk has been a real help. I'll mix up powdered milk from food storage occasionally, and (thankfully) the boys are all willing to drink it, but most of our dairy comes from cheese and yogurt now. We don't eat cold cereal very often-- we can't afford it anyway, and BONUS it's better for us this way!

DS3 will touch my nipple and alternately say, "Is this a button?" or-- more riotous still-- "Is this your penis?" lol I remind him every time, "No, that's a nipple." But the word hasn't stuck yet. But he will call a pacifier a "nipple," even though I've always called it a binky... (he doesn't use a binky, but he knows babies who do).

He is the smartest, most confident, daring (to the point of scaring his mother on a daily basis) and also the goofiest toddler of the three. I'm so glad I decided to have a third baby at a time when I was still getting over the trauma of adjusting to two...DS2 and DS3 are the best of friends and I don't know if that would have been the case if I'd waited until DS2 was almost in school...

That said, if I start talking about having a fourth any time soon, smack me upside the head and talk some sense into me, because something tells me this toddler isn't going to be any less of a handful any time soon. Nor will he be ready to wean...
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Default Re: Almost to the 2 year mark... :)

Awe, Sylvia, that's so sweet! Toddler nursing is such an enjoyable experience, isn't it? I love that my busy LO isn't too busy to come cuddle and nurse

And you're so right, it's such a nice excuse to sit and take a break too. Thanks for sharing -such a nice story to wake up to

Congrats on two years of nursing and thanks for sharing your story! It reminds me a lot of mine. Hope you and Corban continue to have a wonderful nursing relationship!

Congratulations on two years of nursing! What a sweet milestone!

Congratulations! Making it to 2 is a big deal. I hope that you and your son continue to have a wonderful breastfeeding journey together and that the giggles keep coming.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

thanks ladies now he's saying "I got it! I got it!" before he latches on

That is so cute! I love stories like this. Makes me look forward to continuing nursing Ellie until she is ready to stop.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in