Hello. My son is 5 weeks, 4 days old. He is up 4 pounds from his birth weight and has been ebf (on demand) since birth. I have noticed his eating habits are much different than my first; he usually only eats from one side and the feedings range from 7-12 minutes. Sometimes he will nurse from both sides as well. Many times he falls asleep while nursing. I always alternate sides after a feeding too.

I know it is normal for breasts to not feel full as your body begins to regulate feedings and I have not experienced fullness in my breasts, and last night, he was very fussy and my husband gave him formula and he ate 4 ounces and slept a good 3 hours (while nursing we are on a 1.5-2 hour schedule and night).

I was devastated when he ate so much formula and now am thinking maybe my evening supply is low? He is gaining weight well, has the normal amounts of wet diapers (10-12 per day) and has regular bowel movements.

We have also been dealing with some spit up issues. Sometimes is a small amount, but sometimes, he spits up a lot (it almost looks like a whole feeding). He doesn't show signs of any pain when he does and the doctor was not concerned, but sometimes it feels like after he spits up so much, his tummy feels empty quicker.

I have not been pumping because I plan on being with the baby and didn't see the need to, but now I'm second guessing my decision. Could my supply be low? Should I be pumping after a feeding? And if so, do I pump after he eats from just one side and leave the un-nursed breast? Thank you all in advance for the help!