Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Articles about Increasing Milk Production

Default Re: Articles about Increasing Milk Production

I posted a question a while back, though I cannot find the thread to it. You guys suggested that I read "Making More Milk," and I just have to thank you for this wonderful advice.

I'm currently 21weeks preg with baby #2. My first Breast Feeding experience was very difficult. I nursed exclusively for 6 weeks, but my little one kept losing weight. No matter what I tried, I was not making enough milk for her. Before having her, I read a lot about breastfeeding (including the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding). I felt well-prepared, but when it came down to it, my breasts were not giving her enough. After a few weeks, I tried to pump after feedings to increase my supply, I nursed often, I drank mother's milk tea and took fenugreek capsules. Nothing helped. She cried with hunger, and I felt like a failure. I cried a lot over it, and eventually had to begin supplementing. I was able to nurse until 8 months with the help of formula supplements, but it was a lot of heartache.

Of course, when I found out I was pregnant again this year, I quickly came to your site to try and find some help or miracle cure...some piece of advice or information that I overlooked the first time around.

After reading through the book you recommended, I learned and realized an amazing fact: my little one (now 3 years old) has a tongue-tie (just like me). I think that this greatly affected her nursing and thus my supply. I feel as though a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. If this was the reason for my nursing troubles, I surely have a chance at effectively nursing a second time. And if the new baby has a tongue-tie, I have a slurry of helpful tips now. Thanks again!

Default Re: Articles about Increasing Milk Production

thanks for the update! I am happy that book helped you get some answers, I suggest it all the time. Yes there is no doubt tongue tie can cause not only painful latch but also poor milk transfer leading to low milk production. It is amazing you nursed your baby 8 months despite these challenges. Please let us know if we can help in any way with this baby.