Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby cries while breastfeeding

Question Baby cries while breastfeeding

My 5 week baby cries heavily while I am nursing him. He start being fussy after around 5-10 minutes of feeding. And the he screams and unlatches and then latches on again. When he is not latching any more I am trying to calm him down somehow. And he does that almost every time he feeds during day. At night everything is fine, but from the first morning feed he goes like that.

He also has got a mild case of lactose intolerance (his reducing sugar is 1%).

I am not drinking any milk from the day he was born so that is not the problem.

White noise and carrying him seems to be helping. But from white noise he falls asleep and then he doesn't feed any more - the same with carrying him.

So it all makes feeding him not so easy. And also I am worried if he is getting enough milk. Cause now he is actually nursing much shorter when you cut of the screaming.

What can I do to make nursing easier for both of us?

Default Re: Baby cries while breastfeeding

Hi, welcome to the forum! Did you try to let him BF before he gets to fall asleep from the white noise? There can be several reasons why your baby gets fussy during feeding. It might be a growth spurt, your baby is teething or you have a slow let down that makes him fuss. Have you also called your pedi about it?

Maybe it's something to do with your let down, fast or slow?

When he gets fussy during feeding then he goes only into two states - sleeping or crying. I try to calm him down and go on with feeding but he usually gets back to crying quite fast.

A while ago we have contacted pediatrician about our baby fussiness. Especially if it is connected with this lactose intolerance. And now I am giving him oral drops before every feeding for gases and so on. It seems to be helping a little bit - now between feeding he is acting better.

But before he wasn't crying at almost every feeding. At first I thought that it may be something with the let down too. But he seems to be coping with it really well when he is not fussy. And at night everything is fine.

So I would really like to know what makes him so fussy during the day feedings.

Most important issue: is baby gaining well? Having the appropriate number of wet and poopy diapers?

If those two things are on track, I would suggest that it might be possible that baby is just done feeding after 5-10 minutes. All nursing dyads are different--depending on the baby's transfer efficiency, and depending on mom's storage capacity and letdown speed, some newborns will easily get their milk needs met with feedings that last 5-10 minutes. This is why it is generally suggested that for babies who are gaining well and having appropriate diaper output, they be allowed to feed on demand, for however long (or short!) baby wants.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

It is getting even worse - now he sometimes starts crying from the beginning. So I am pretty sure he is not done. He is gaining weight - this week he gain around 170g. But before he was gaining even better - around 200g. He is pooping less now - 2 diapers per day (4 before). And right now he is being fussy a lot more, I am starting to think that he may have colic.

But the worst part is that when he gets so angry it is almost impossible to fed him properly. So any help is much appreciated!

Some suggestions from personal experience:
    1. Try different positions. Reclining with baby on top of you helps if you have a heavy letdown. Baby upright with feet down between your legs can help if baby has reflux or tends to swallow a lot of air
    2. Infant probiotics. Here is a link to the one we are using. There are lots of other options out there though. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ger...8-000007a1dd7b
    3. Take a break. If you are frustrated baby can tell. Pass him off to your partner, grandma or a friend for 10 minutes while you take a shower, read a book, or put headphones on and listen to some favorite music. Then try again if baby is still showing signs of being hungry. If he isn't hungry your helper might end up putting him to sleep. That is ok too. Sometimes my LO gets overtired and won't nurse until she has slept for a half hour.
    4. Play white noise while nursing. Try this YouTube video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQUjMtQRUbg . I also have a "nature sounds" ap that I got for free from the apple store with all kinds of different white noise options - fans, waterfalls, ocean, rivers, trains, heartbeats - it is nice to experiment with which ones she likes best.
    5. Make sure both you and baby are both comfortable. Little things like being too warm or cold can make a difference.

It sounds like your issues are predominantly- maybe even exclusively- during the daylight hours. Correct? If so, is there anything you're doing differently during the day vs. the night? Maybe using a different nursing position?

Don't worry too much about week-to-week fluctuations in weight gain. There's a reason that pediatricians don't weigh babies every week, or every day, and that's because it is normal for weight gain to vary from week to week. And your baby's weight gain is still completely in the normal range; see http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain-metric/ for average weight gain in breastfed babies. In fact, according to that chart, 170 g/week is completely average.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"