Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Effect of energy drinks on breast milk?

Default Effect of energy drinks on breast milk?

So today I was feeling very tired and unenergized, my husband offered me a rockstar energy drink and I didn't think much of it and took it thinking I hadn't had my cup of coffee anyway. About 2 hours later after I pumped, I happened to read the warnings on the can and it says that it is not recommended for pregnant or nursing moms. So now I have about 4oz of breast milk that I don't know if I should dump or if it's still safe to feed to my 9 week old baby. Any one know the effect the rockstar may have had on my breast milk? Will it harm my baby if I feed her this milk?

Default Re: Effect of energy drinks on breast milk?

My guess is that it is fine, though if you are concerned I think it's a good idea to contact Infant Risk: http://www.infantrisk.com

Are you nursing or pumping or both? If you're nursing, or nursing and pumping, I think I would just label the milk "Rockstar" and throw it in the back of the freezer, and use it if you run out of other options.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Energy drinks have caffeine in them and I think it depends on the amount of caffeine that you take in. The American Academy of Pediatrics considers small amounts of caffeine safe while BFing. So I guess there's nothing to worry about. Just be more cautious next time around.

Thank you for the link, I'll see what I find, it breaks my heart to have to dump it, though it's not much it's super precious to me, specially since I've been having supply issues and are just getting my supply back.

I do both nurse and pump. I understand the caffeine part of it, but it's got other ingredients in it that make me wonder why they feel they need to add a warning to the can. I know I'm probably just being paranoid and should have just dumped it and been done like my husband said, but he doesn't understand the feeling of dumping BM, so I refused lol

Want to talk about the supply issues? Maybe we can help.

I totally understand the pain of dumping precious expressed milk. I once spilled 5 oz- the most I ever pumped!- on my freshly shampooed carpet. I cried.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I've definitely been struggling for the past 2 weeks with my supply. I had to get into my frozen stash that I had saved up for when I go back to work. The only thing that I started doing different is eating better, (trying to lose weight). Eating salads and lots of fruits and veggies, but I'm thinking the calorie intake is not enough to keep up with my milk supply because I've been starting to see a difference now that I started taking in food with more calories. Could this be the reason?

So you're currently home full time with your baby, correct? If so, and you're nursing on demand, you shouldn't be experiencing problems with supply. Supply = demand, so unrestricted demand should mean good milk supply. So, what exactly are you seeing that's making you think you're struggling? Are you having trouble pumping? Is the baby exhibiting some weird behavior that makes you think there's not enough? Are you going off of breast fullness? Diaper output? Weight gain?

Your diet shouldn't enter into the equation unless you're literally at the point of malnutrition. Most women gain weight during pregnancy, and a lot of that weight is insurance for breastfeeding, so that you have some energy stores to fall back on when you need to produce milk.

Have you started a new form of contraception in the last few weeks? And if so, which one?

Yes, I am currently at home nursing on demand. I used to be able to nurse and usually fill her up with nursing her on one side only, and on a few rare occasions a few minutes on the second breast. I would pump right after and would be able to get at least 2 oz from the other breast. Now she nurses on one side for about 5 minutes and then starts fussing and pulling away, I switch her to the other side and the same thing, sometimes it's sufficient and she seems to be full, but I will not be able to pump more than a few drops. Lately I've had to thaw some to make sure she is satisfied. Every morning I would wake up and pump at least 5oz and now I'm lucky if I get 2oz. Just gets frustrating because I go back to work in 2 weeks and instead of storing more milk, I'm taking from it.

Nope, I'm not on birth control yet, my doctor is currently out of the IUD I want, so I'm waiting. She is sleeping more at night, she went from eating every 3 hours to now only waking up once. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking maybe that's a bigger factor?

"Energy" drinks are packed with tons of sugar and probably more than a typical dose of caffeine. This would make them possibly unsafe during pregnancy for some mothers especially in terms of blood sugar levels, and basically whenever the manufacturer puts a warning label on something for pregnancies are going to add breast-feeding on there as well. It's not like the small amount of mothers who are nursing not buying their drink is going to affect their bottom line any. These drinks are really not very healthy for anyone. However I do not think you need to discard your milk that you pumped after drinking one. According to the womanly Art of breast-feeding a mother would have to drink the equivalent of 5 cups of coffee a day for caffeine to begin to affect her nursing baby.

I suggest you read the article on www.Kellymom.com about low milk production. There is a section at the beginning that talks about what the signs of little milk production are and what they are not. Many mothers suspect that typical behavioral changes and changes in output when pumping have something to do with having a low milk production when in fact they do not. Unfortunately what happens then is the mom begins to supplement baby. Supplementing baby when it is not really needed will then cause baby to nurse less and so you may end up with a self-fulfilling prophecy where you actually create a situation of low milk production. This can happen even if one is supplementing with their own stored breast milk.
    That article should give you a little more clarity on what may be going on. If you do truly have low milk production of course there are many things to do to increase it.
    Next time instead of an energy drink I suggest you give baby to your husband and go take a nap!
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 4th, 2014 at 12:02 AM.

Most moms start out making more milk than their babies need. It's nature's way of making sure that the newborn gets fed while mastering the art of breastfeeding; when there's a lot of milk, it's easy for the baby get all she needs even if she's not yet an adept nurser. When a mom is overproducing, it's common for her to need to use just one breast at a time to satisfy all baby's needs, and for her to be able to pump a lot of milk with little effort. But the overproduction phase doesn't last, which is good; making too much milk is a waste of energy and puts a mom at increased risk for plugged ducts and mastitis. So after a mom has been nursing for a while, her body reduces supply to meet demand pretty exactly. When that adjustment happens, it's normal to rarely if ever feel full, to need to use both breasts at a feeding, and to see pump output decline. It's also normal for the baby to suddenly act quite fussy as she gets used to having to work harder for her meals.

Basically, I think what's happening is that you're mistaking normal supply for low supply. If this is the case, the best thing to do is to shelve the bottles and supplements and just nurse, nurse, nurse- including at night. Slipping in a few dream feeds is a great way to boost supply throughout the day.

What sort of IUD are you looking for? Mierana or ParaGard? For a nursing mom, I think ParaGard is the better choice because it is non-hormonal- there is at least good anecdotal evidence that for some moms, the hormones in Mirena have a negative impact on supply. And you already feel like you're struggling... So if it were me, I'd either choose ParaGard or use an alternate form of contraception (like a barrier method) until my baby was closer to a year and eating lots of solids.