Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do longer stretches of sleep effect supply? Dream feed?

Default How do longer stretches of sleep effect supply? Dream feed?

Hi. My 4 m.o. baby is occasionally giving us longer stretches over night. Hallelujah! Except...I'm wondering how to match that with my supply. We're talking about 5 hours a couple times a week -- and then only when swaddled. I have mixed feelings about the swaddle; I feel like it gets in the way of her hunger signals...but maybe not. Who knows.

Anyway, on the nights when she does go longer than 3 hours at a stretch, I wake up engorged & have to decide what to do. Do I wake her up (sometimes she'll dream feed), or pump, or let it go? If I let it go, how does that effect my supply? During the day she still nurses every 2 hours or so, & by the end of the day she's still doing some clusterfeeding, so I feel like my supply is right where she wants it and not a drop more. But, I'd also **love** it if these 5 hour stretches became the norm.

Anyway, what's the decision tree here?

Thanks, Mamas!!

Default Re: How do longer stretches of sleep effect supply? Dream fe

If the baby is gaining weight well and you are home with her or you're working but having no trouble filling her daycare bottles, let her sleep. Your supply may decline at night due to the long stretch but your baby will either get all her needs met during the day or will return to night nursing and will increase your supply back to where she needs it to be.

If the baby is not gaining weight well or you are at work and are having trouble filling her daycare bottles, then the long sleep stretch is working against you and you want to either remove the swaddle, which may cause her to speaker more often, or to proactively wake her to nurse, or to pump during the long sleep stretch.

Thanks, Mommal! So you're saying as long as I'm nursing on demand everything will sort itself out & if my supply dips too much Baby will just nurse it back to where it needs to be?

Yup.