Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't nurse - respiratory infection is worse

Default Re: Can't nurse - respiratory infection is worse

Hi Mary,

You are doing a great job hanging in there with everything you are going through!

Rebecca has been giving you plenty of information and support, but now that she is on her way out of town, I just wanted to mention a couple of things.

Anyone can access Dr. Hale's website. But only health professionals or LLLL can ask him a question. So you could go there right now and check the archives on the different drugs you are taking and try to find out if you could get back to BF (preferably ASAP!). If you can't find the info you need and would like me to post a question, I certainly will. Or you ped. can do so. (How great for you to provide the link to the ped. who is "not so supportive" of BF! He might gain some new information and insight!)

Here is the link:
    http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/html...ns_forums.html

scroll down and click on "guests enter here".

Hope you are doing better!

Smile Re: Can't nurse - respiratory infection is worse

Thanks Kate and Hunoosh,

I talked to the other Ped doc in the office that is supportive of BF and he said the risk is low and I can BF!! He also said if I am worried about the steroid I can nurse before taking each pill and give 1 bottle of EBM from my freezer stash a couple of hours later (he said to avoid the formula if I can). The steroid only stays in the body and milk for 4 hours and the pear is at 1-2 hours so there I can time it out to keep her on the breast most of the time.
    The supportive Ped said is is best to keep her on my breast so she can get the antibodies I am making fresh each day since she is exposed to me and my infection. He said she should not be able to get it and it is fine to do everything normal with her - even breath and kiss on her. The other Non-supportive Ped doc told me that I should not breath on her, kiss her, or anything - which is impossible when you are home alone with a 8 week old that can't understand why Mommy won't cuddle the way she did a few days ago.

If it was not for these boards I would have never had the confidence to challenge what the non-supportive doc said and go to her partner. The "Good" supportive Ped confirmed this morning that he is moving to a new office team not too much farther from where I live so we are going to be moving with him. He said he respects the other doctor but they have some strong differences of opinions about care and breastfeeding is a major issue. He does not think it is good to have docs giving conflicting info from the same office so he is moving to a office group that is more like him. His new office group even has IBCL lactation consultant!

Oh, I would have missed out on all of this if it were not for every one on the boards so Thank You all so much!!

As soon as she wakes I wll be able to nurse her again before taking my next dose. I am so excited to nurse her and see those big eyes look up at me happily again! She does not look at me the same way when I offer a bottle - maybe she is mad about not getting the breast!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I'm so glad you can nurse again, especially because it makes YOU and your LO happy!! Get well soon!!!!

Glad to hear your good new Mary! Enjoy your dd!

It's so good to hear that things are all working out well. I'm glad to hear you will be able to easily switch doctors. Way to be persistent!

Wow, how wonderful...please tell us how your first nursing session back goes!!! Good for you for being persistent...I'm sure your lo thanks you What a happy ending and I hope you continue to feel better...enjoy your precious one, she'll be walking before you know it!
    ~Melanie

Yay, I'm so glad it worked out for you and you can nurse again!
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Smile Re: Can't nurse - respiratory infection is worse

Just an update...We are nursing again and my LO is so much happier with me. The first 2 days back nursing she refused a bottle from my DH and would only nurse so it was tiring but after missing out I was happy! She also used me as a pacifier those first 2 days back nursing but is fine now. I guess she thought "I have the breast now so I better not let it get away again."

The only problem we have as a result is that we have had a set back in our latching. She never has been a good latcher and when she nurses she pops off a lot. Part of it may be due to a late start (refused to nurse until 3 weeks old - but I tried every time we fed her). She was also born 2.5 weeks early, a little small and very sleepy!! When she nurses she makes a cute little grunt with every suckle and a big grunt with every swallow. She often gulps air when this happens. When she pops off the breast she is slow to latch back on and wants to sit there and lick my breast is an ice cream cone (clearly I can not NIP with this behavior).

A new problem I had never seen before is that her lips are pouted inward (very firm/tight) and not out so she has a smaller latch now. It looks like my nipple is now a small straw to her. I have been trying to pull her lips out but when I try she gets so furious and will not latch again. When I do get her back on the lips are in again. Any Suggestions?

Thanks again for all of your help in getting through this - I could not have done it without you all!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk