Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't nurse - respiratory infection is worse

Smile Re: Can't nurse - respiratory infection is worse

Thanks Jen. Here is an update of of our overnight and early morning. I am feeling so much better this morning.

I tried a new bottle at every feeding to see if I could get her to eat as my DH filled each new bottle with 1oz for her to try. Finally, she ended up taking a Breastflow - the bottle we first started her on before she was able to breast feed and she took it from me!! I held her in a nursing position with lots of skin to skin contact. When she turned to root on me I slipped the bottle in and she ate! I was so happy and felt so much better that I could get food in my LO. DH and I laughed that she just wanted us to buy every bottle they make to support the economy. It was nice to laugh after a horrible day of crying. She just ate another bottle (only 2 ounces but she did eat) so I am feeling so much better!! I just melted when she looked up at me as she was drinking her bottle.

Samantha goes in for her 2 month check up and shots this afternoon. I wish I could nurse her afterwards to help her feel better but at least I can feed her until I can nurse then. I could not have gotten this far without all of you supporting me and providing advice. Words can not express how thankful I am to everyone on these boards and the time and wisdom each of you share.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Can't nurse - respiratory infection is worse

I Googled Methlyprednisolone, a steroid, & bf...
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...,,3wwt,00.html
    http://www.obfocus.com/reference/For...ednisolone.htm
    minimal exposure, sounds like.

As for the other, an antibiotic, it seems untested too and definitely gets into milk.
    http://safefetus.com/DrugDetail.asp?...p&TradeId=2884
    http://www.perinatology.com/exposure...Clarithromycin
    I didn't find anything that said "don't take it", just that it could be harmful to a fetus but no one's tested how much gets into bm or the effects. So it could be a risk, up to you to decide how big and if the risk for LO outweighs the benefit for you.

The hexaful is just an antihisthemine, decongestant & Tylenol.

I'm not a leader, this is just me and Google, lol, but I HTH!
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Thumbs up Re: Can't nurse - respiratory infection is worse

Thanks Bluebird. I am using my freezer stash to be safe and 1-2 bottles of formula too (if needed in the wee hours of the night - also b/c she is getting a little jaundice again). She had her 2 month check up and shots today and is up to 10.1 pounds so DH and I are very happy.

It seems like I am running through my EBM freezer stash quickly so I hope I can get it restocked before I have to return to work in Jan. I have about 35 bags each with 5oz in them left. I have found that since I am using my limited amount of EBM I will only heat up 1 - 3 oz at a time so she does not waste any. Before, I was not as concerned as much about dumping an ounce here and there down a drain because she was only getting 1-2 bottles a day from my DH so at most he was dumping 4 oz per day that was heated and not eaten. Now, as I pump and dump my EBM or "liquid gold" as I have heard it called on these boards I cringe at wasting it!

Overall, my LO is doing much better. She is now taking bottles from me to in addition to taking them from her daddy. However, she still tries to root and gets mad when I will not nurse her. Who new an 8 week old could have such a temper (and a loud voice)! It is so hard to say no but soon I will be over this and I can put her back on the breast again. It really makes me appreciate bf more now.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Quote Originally Posted by maryberan View Post
    The meds I am taking are:
    Hexaful (dexchlorpheniramine maleate 2mg, pseudoephedrine HCL 45mh, and acetaminophen 650mg). 3x per day
    Clarithromycine (500mg) 2x per day
    Methlyprednisolone (4mg tablets) 2 tablets 4x a day and reducing it by one table each day for 8 days.
    I was also given a streoid injection but I do not know the name of what they injected other than it was a steroid (and they used a big needle).
    Maryberan, I'm sorry that I've been slow in getting back to this thread.

Just briefly glancing through my 2004 copy of Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk -- I can't find dexchlorpheniramine listed, and as you noted, we don't have the name of the steroid you were injected with.

The pseudoephedrine is the one that may reduce your milk supply.

It is not clear to me (with my incomplete research) which of these medications makes your breastmilk unsafe for your baby. If you have any questions about that recommendation, call your doctor back and ask him or her to consult the Hale book and to explain more thoroughly what the risks and benefits are for each of your options regarding the medications and breastfeeding. This would also be a great problem for an IBCLC to help you tackle.

I mention this because -- while it is certainly possible to work hard and return to successful breastfeeding after 8 days without -- it would be easier to navigate this bump in the road if you can get your baby back to the breast sooner rather than later. Your doctor's instructions not to breastfeed for 8 days makes me wonder if it is the 8-day course of methylprednisolone that is driving that recommendation; but that is an L2 category drug (safer -- meaning limited studies exist that show no increase in adverse effects in the infant; and/or evidence shows that a demonstrated risk is remote (I'm summarizing Hale p. 18 here.)

The problem may be with the injected steroid you already received, rather than with the oral steroid you are now taking. I'm not a doctor or pharmacist, and I don't have enough information about the injected drug to tell you what the Hale book says about that. Again, if you have any questions or doubts, call your doctor for a more thorough explanation or discussion of risks vs. benefits, and/or talk with an IBCLC about it.

I'm leaving on a trip early Thursday morning and likely won't be online much until next week. Hang in there; hope things have continued to improve with your situation today.

Rebecca,

Thanks for all of your help with this. I believe it was the methylprednisolone that is driving that recommendation because it is a L2 category drug with limited studies. As I have been reading more about the risk category today it sounds like L2 is not that unsafe as the Ped doc led me to believe. Am I correct? The Ped doc that told me it was unsafe seems to maybe overly cautious that may not very supportive of BF (she is pushing the use of formula each time we go in there b/c my LO's eyes are slightly yellow but the billi test showed levels were in the acceptable range for now). The Ped doc we like best in the office (very supportive of bf) is moving to a new office team so I think we are going to be moving with him.

Enjoy your trip!!

For more info on the "lactation risk categories" used by Dr. Hale (this is from a non-LLL resource):

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/..._risk_cat.html

I hope you can follow up on these questions tomorrow, before the weekend makes it harder to reach your doctors. It would be a shame to forego breastfeeding for 8 days if it isn't truly necessary. Again, I want to emphasize that you need to figure out the best course of action through consultation with a health care professional, and I am not that.
    Last edited by LLL_Rebecca; November 29th, 2006 at 11:11 PM. Reason: posted too soon

Thanks Rebecca! I will call the Ped doc that is supportive and seems to know more about breast feeding tomorrow and clear it up. It will be wonderful if I can start nursing her again. She and I both will be much more happy!!

My heart goes out to you! You are a true blessing to your little girl. I am sure everything will be back to normal in the end because you are such a loving and determined mommy!

Honoosh,
    Thank you very much.
    It is funny how a little baby can change my life in such a wondrful way. I am just sitting her at 1am watching her sleep and playing on the LLL boards and net because I want to watch her.
    I loved being preganat but I really Love being a Mommy!
    Mary

I agree. I can't wait sometimes for my boys to wake up. I feel like I am a new mom after 12 yrs with no baby! I am soooo in love. Pregnancy was fun ... caring for 2 boys is TWICE AS NICE!