Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blisters on Nipple!!!!!

Unhappy Blisters on Nipple!!!!!

My daughter is almost eight months old and I have never had a problem withmy nipples hurtung but now it is horrible!! For the past few days my nipple have been so raw they even have blisters!!! I am using my nipple cream but I don't know what else to do. I think part of the problem is that my LO is teething and she has been using my nipple as a pacifier, which I have no problem with, but now I think it is really damaging my nipples. I tried giving her a nukster but she broke herself of that habit about three months ago and now she won't take it. What do I do??? She won't even nap because if I take her off her nan (that's what we call my breast) she wakes up and cries!! Please someone help me.

Default Re: Blisters on Nipple!!!!!

Hi Lily's Ma! Kudos to you for keeping up with breastfeeding through all this! You're frustrated and in pain, yet still want to continue to nurse when many others might have given up already.

A nipple blister can make breastfeeding very painful! Is the nipple clear or white?
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Right now one nipple has orange blister?? The other has clear and orange blisters. Is that what you meant??

Well, I've never heard of an orange blister on the nipple, I wonder if that is the result of some blood getting in the clear fluid in the blister???

The reason I ask is that a clear blister is usually a sign that the baby is not latched on well- very easy to happen when your LO discovers the world and tries to explore it while nursing. It may help to make sure that your LO is opening wide and latching on asymetrically (nose to nipple) as far on to the areola as possible, taking more of the areola with her lower jaw than with the top. Adjusting the latch may be all that is needed to relieve some of the pain and prevent the blister from reoccurring. (The Breastfeeding Answer Book p. 484).

If you develop a white blister (also called a "bleb") this could be caused by a plugged duct, thrush or skin blocking the milk and may occur after a trauma to the nipple, which is why I asked what color the blisters are.

It sounds like you have more than one! OUCH!!! You stated that you were using nipple cream- may I ask which type?
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

I use Gerber's Gentle Moisturizing Balm.

I know that epsom salt works wonder for healing. But in the mean time what is suggested if she has to nurse on that side? It hurts badly when she eats on that side. I keep getting them and this is the worse of them so far. Could it be from pumping? I am using Harmony Manual so that I can get some in the event I need surgery to remove IUD. I don't go crazy roughly 4 x's/day at most.
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by veggiegirl228 View Post
    I know that epsom salt works wonder for healing. But in the mean time what is suggested if she has to nurse on that side? It hurts badly when she eats on that side. I keep getting them and this is the worse of them so far. Could it be from pumping? I am using Harmony Manual so that I can get some in the event I need surgery to remove IUD. I don't go crazy roughly 4 x's/day at most.
    Fixing the latch should lesson the pain until it heals. I've heard many mom's getting a great deal of comfort from Lanisoh Lanolin (a tube lasts forever) and I even use it on chapped lips and my ecezema on my finger tips! A mom with sore nipples should continue to nurse on the sore side, paying close attention to latch and positioning and letting the nipple air dry. Then apply the lanolin. Continuing to nurse will ensure the supply is kept up.

You may want to check the suction on the pump. I'm not very familiar with pumping and ds just woke up from his nap so I can't look up what the BAB says...I'll check back later. In the meantime, you may want to post this question on the pumping threads.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader