Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids at 4 Months???

Default Solids at 4 Months???

Pediatrician asked us to start DS of 4 months on Rice cereal and fruit twice a day. He likes the fruit and eats almost an oz of applesauce. Ped said that it would not impact his milk intake but will it?? Will my baby's body know that he is not getting the nutrition from solids and still take the same amount of milk. He nurses every 2 hours but in the morning when he eats solids he goes around 3 hours without nursing. Also his poops are a very dark green almost like meconium, is it just the extra iron or is his body having a hard time dealing with the solids. Pedi is very laid-back about it and says its normal.

Default Re: Solids at 4 Months???

Was there a reason he said to start solids? Every professional medical organization I have heard says to wait 6 months. Breastmilk is far more nutritious than any solid food. If baby's stomach is filling up on solids of course milk intake will drop some.

Have you looked into infant-led weaning? It is a much more breastfeeding-friendly way to start solids, IMO. Here is a good website. http://www.babyledweaning.com

I should clarify that "weaning" in this sense means starting solids, not stopping breastmilk. It is a British thing, I guess.

If you are at all uncomfortable with your son having solids then stop. Since you are on here asking questions, I assume there is something about it making you wonder if it is the right choice. If your pedi is laid back then he should be okay with you telling him your DS isn't ready and you want to wait another month or two.

Like PP said, starting solids at 4 months is antiquated advice and is no longer the recommendation. The AAP recommends feeding only breast milk or formula for at least 6 months. Yes, solids could absolutely impact his milk intake negatively. Baby cereal especially has little nutritional benefit but can still reduce baby's overall milk/formula intake because it fills up the belly.

Signs that baby is ready for food include the ability to sit up unassisted and the ability to pick up food with their own hands.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Antiquated advice, from the days when it was considered desirable to wean the baby from breast or bottle a soon as possible. It's breast or formula only for the first 6 months, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. Unless there is some reason to start early, in which case I'd be interested to hear what it is.

When you start solids, you want the quantities you offer to be small. A teaspoon or two per day, to start. My pediatrician says that when it comes to solids, "until one, they're just for fun". You want to give the baby a fun learning experience, allowing him to taste, touch, lick, spit, drop, and eventually chew his solids. Actually eating them? Not necessary to the process.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I started solids with my DD when she was about 5 or 6 months. I read babies are much more prone to food allergies if solids were introduced before the 6th month. I'm not sure it is the reason why she has allergies or it just runs in the family. I think if your LO is ready then give it to her.

My son's pedi also recommended us to start feeding my at the time almost 3 month old cereal and then veggies. Now he is almost 4 months old and has only had a little baby cereal. I wanted to wait till closer to 6 months to start in with solids. Pedi recommended it because he is acting advanced for his age.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tleigh92 View Post
    My son's pedi also recommended us to start feeding my at the time almost 3 month old cereal and then veggies. Now he is almost 4 months old and has only had a little baby cereal. I wanted to wait till closer to 6 months to start in with solids. Pedi recommended it because he is acting advanced for his age.
    Wow, if this were my pediatrician, I'd fire him yesterday. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends waiting until 6 months. 3 month old babies are not ready for solids no matter how "advanced" they seem!

Signs of readiness for solids:
    - Baby can sit unsupported in a high chair
    - Baby shows interest in mealtimes (e.g. watching parents eat, reaching for food)
    - Baby has lost the tongue thrust reflex
    - Baby is developing a good pincer grip
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't know why this subject really gets under my skin. It has been the AAP recommendation for quite a few years now that babies drink only breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months, and yet so many pediatricians STILL advise otherwise. It is like they come up with any excuse to go against this. Your baby is big, your baby won't sleep well, your baby "acts hungry" and now this "acting advanced for his age". It is so simple: at least 6 months, THEN look at the readiness signs mommal listed.

And I am not ranting at you tleigh92, you are just doing what you are told. It is the pediatricians than make me go
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

No. The answer to solids at 4months is NOPE.

Way too lazy for formula