Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 3 week old won't nurse long, help please!

Default My 3 week old won't nurse long, help please!

Hey there! Any knowledge or help would be greatly appreciated!

My daughter is 3 weeks, 4 days old and won't breastfeeding for long and also seems to favor the left breast. She will maybe feed 5-10 mins on one side and between 0-10 mins on the other (10 of we are lucky and recently has been refusing the second breast) and the time between feeding varies from 1hr 30 mins to sometimes 3+hours. Her diaper input is about 10+ wet a day and 4+ dirty ( with a subsequent amount of stool) and maybe 2 or 3 on top of that with just a little that came out when she passed gas. From what I understand her diaper output is great which makes this a little confusing. Also, she spits up in large amounts after almost every feeding which makes me worry that she barely keeping what I'm feeding her. As far as weight gain is I concerned she was 7lbs 6oz at birth and had dropped to 6lbs 15oz the day we left the hospital. The last time she was weighed was 11 days ago at her last dr.s appointment which was 11 days ago (at 2 weeks old) and she was 7lbs 13oz so she had exceeded her birthweight. From the looks of her currently she seems to be getting bigger so I don't feel like weight is an issue either. Please help me because I'm a very confused and worried momma!!

Default Re: My 3 week old won't nurse long, help please!

If diaper output and weight gain are both good (and it sure sounds like they are) then you have nothing to worry about. The best advice I ever got about breastfeeding was "watch your baby, not the clock." Some babies are just efficient and don't need very long. At 3 weeks my kiddo almost never nursed longer than 10 minutes and only on one side per feeding. During her last growth spurt she would have times when she would nurse longer and take both sides. I figure she knows what she needs better than I do so I just follow her lead.

The time between feedings sounds normal to me too. Is she nursing at least 10 times in 24 hours?

Don't worry about the duration of the baby's feedings as long as diaper output and weight gain are normal. Feeding times vary widely, with some babies getting all they need in just a few minutes and others taking closer to an hour. Frequency varies too, but with babies who are <6 weeks old, you want to be proactive and make sure the baby is nursing at least 10 times a day. It's okay to allow a few longer intervals between nursing sessions if the baby nurses enough overall and weight gain is good.

Do you have a lot of milk right now? Maybe you're feeling engorged or full pretty frequently? Are you pumping at all, and if so, how much are you getting at a go?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with PP. Some things to consider to know you're baby is getting enough milk are weight gain, wet diapers and dirty diapers. Frequent or long feedings, varying nursing pattern and growth spurts are just normal.

Thank you all very much! Nothing has made me as nervous and paranoid as becoming a mother

I do pump once in a while. When I do I usually get about 1.5 oz per. Breast. My breasts have never got "engorged" like I've heard explained. I didn't even know when my milk came in until I pumped. Very Recently I have been getting a more full feeling in them that I'd never felt before.

Oh,and yes! Yesterday we nursed exactly 10 times actually.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizbee View Post
    I do pump once in a while. When I do I usually get about 1.5 oz per. Breast. My breasts have never got "engorged" like I've heard explained. I didn't even know when my milk came in until I pumped. Very Recently I have been getting a more full feeling in them that I'd never felt before.
    Okay, in that case there's no reason to worry about oversupply. The reason I asked is that a lot of moms either have oversupply or create one with a lot of pumping, and when they do their babies are more likely to feed really fast. Lots of milk tends to lead to super-fast flow and baby being done very quick. But your supply sounds like it's just about right.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"