Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horrible breastfeeding experience!

Default Re: Horrible breastfeeding experience!

Yes, 3 oz is completely normal output. Breastfed babies typically take 2-4 oz when they nurse, which is why they usually nurse pretty frequently.

So the stripe down your nipple suggests that the baby is latching on too shallow. Instead of the nipple landing in the sweet spot on the back of the tongue underneath the soft palate, it's landing on the front of the tongue, underneath the hard palate. When baby sucks, the nipple gets compressed between hard palate and tongue, which causes the stripe and the pain and cracking. Now, it's possible that this is happening because you have short nipples and it's hard for those short nipples to reach the sweet spot. But it also could be happening because of a tongue or lip tie, which can prevent baby from achieving a deep latch. The clicking and air sucking you describe makes me wonder about a tie, since a tie can make it difficult for baby to maintain suction. If this were my baby, I'd want him checked carefully for ties by an experienced LC, a pediatrician, or a pediatric dentist or ENT.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hmm, well I think I will make a call to his pediatrician or my Lactation consultant tomorrow morning then. I really don't want to give up, I want this to work out for us! Thanks for the all help and support!

Let us know how it turns out with the pediatrician/LC! I'm curious to hear what they think.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I feel your pain! I don't have any input on the pumping what wanted to offer my encouragement. I had a ton of problems with latching and nipple shield at first. My son is 11 weeks and only within the last week or so have our problems started to resolve. Hang in there! I had a lot of thoughts on giving up but I'm glad I stuck it out. We do still have some problems but it's so much better than it was even a few weeks ago. Have you tried a lot of different nursing positions? I surprisingly found that my boppy pillow just does NOT work for my little guy, and I had been using it since he was born. Never thought that could have caused a problem! This weekend I also found that sitting him upright in my lap and facing me worked well for his latching, and laying down side-by-side has always worked well.