Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True supply issue or overfeeding expressed milk?

Default Re: True supply issue or overfeeding expressed milk?

Great questions! I think it's great that you're not doing much supplementing anymore. Remember babies can be fussy for many reasons so I wouldn't use the bottle as your go-to solution for fussiness. First option is the breast, if that doesn't do it, try a dim room, motion (rocking, bouncing on an exercise ball, walking baby around in your arms, a carrier or a stroller), soft singing.

Baby will not need bigger bottles or more food as the year progresses - milk intake is stable between 1 month and 1 year. Nor will she need less. Solids before age one is for learning new tastes, textures and the motor skills to self-feed; breastmilk remains the primary source of nutrition. So yes, she will still need to eat at the same frequency even once she starts sampling solids, and bottle sizes should also remain about the same. Because she does need the same frequency of feedings, a lot of moms will continue to co-sleep, if for no other reason than it makes it less tiring to be nursing baby at night! It's sort of a myth that co-sleeping is going to make baby a "bad sleeper" later on, personally that has not been my experience.

Whether it's sufficient to nurse/pump every 3 hours during the day, I think you just have to see how things go. If baby is gaining weight (indicating your supply is fine) and you have stable pump output, then you know it's fine. If you're starting to have less pump output, that might be a signal you need to do more.

It's true that it's hard to keep track of how many times in 24 hours if you are cluster feeding. Nor do you necessarily need to be that compulsive about keeping track. If you are cluster nursing in the evening and nursing several times overnight, and nursing once in the day and baby gets a few bottles, it sounds like she is getting the frequency she needs. Every 3 hours for the bottle may be about right, sometimes they may be a little closer together, sometimes a little farther apart (if she takes a long nap for example).

Hey there--replying quickly on my cell, but I'd reiterate what bfwmomof3 said about perhaps trying for a second letdown. I personally always had to wait for and work for that second let down, because otherwise I'd probably only have pumped 1-2 oz total in my session. So for my 20 minute pumping session, I'd have an initial let down that would last for a few minutes, and then the rest of my session was all about going back to stimulation mode on my pump until I generated a second letdown. Usually that letdown happened close to the 18 minute mark for me! But I almost always yielded another 1-2 oz from that second letdown.

And please, try not to feel guilty about your coworkers. It is your right to pump. And honestly, even with the enormity of the pumping breaks I was taking during my child's first year (it was easily reaching 1.5 hrs out of my 8 hour work day), I managed to keep up with and even exceed the working pace of most of my coworkers. I always took my paperwork/charting/reporting with me when I pumped. I would save as much as I could for those breaks, so that even my pump breaks were mostly productive!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Thank you both so much. Do you know how much she should gain daily/weekly? I pumped for a full 20 minutes this morning and had my first/strongest let down after 2-3 minutes, then another shorter let down at 7 minutes, then a third weak and very brief let down at 17 minutes. Does that sound about normal?
    Last edited by @llli*ava.smommy; March 6th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.

Yes, that actually sounds great! Here's a good link from kelly mom about weekly weight gain:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

If I need more than the initial letdown then I'd take off the cups and massage my nipples with my fingers and I'd get another letdown. It always worked so far, even better than stimulation mode on the pump.

And regarding sending milk to daycare - I send along 9 ounces for 7 hours of separation, though I usually feed my baby like an hour before we leave the house, so it's more like 8 hours since his last meal. I also don't feed him right away when he comes home - he is never hungry yet so I wait until about 1/2 hour later or so. He leaves over a bit from the second bottle usually (1/2 ounce or so). He's 4 months old. He comes home happy and is gaining well so I'm not concerned. My pedi says the bottles should be between 3-5 ounces. So I send a 5 oz for the first bottle and a 4 oz for the second one.

Thank you for that link regarding weight. I'll be sure to utilize that as a reference. Am I supposed to be changing the modes on the pump throughout my pumping session? I start off on stimulation mode then once I see milk coming I change the mode to the slower stronger mode and leave it at that setting throughout the rest of my session. I try to compress and massage my breasts about ten minutes in while it's pumping. When I'm done I'll try a couple of hand expressions per breast but don't get more than a drop.

You could try switching back into the stimulation mode to see if that helps with the second (or third) letdown - there's no right or wrong to it, just whatever works! And that will differ from mom to mom, so you try different things and see what works best for you.