Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Probiotics on a colicky baby

Default Probiotics on a colicky baby

My son is almost 9 weeks old now and has had colic since he was 3 weeks old. I have barely slept at all since then so I'm getting desperate because we will be moving across the country at the end of March and I have so much to do, but can't accomplish anything because LO cries all the time and constantly wants to be held or pacify on me.

I feel like I have tried everything there is out there for colic, besides chiropractic. I started him on probiotics 2 days ago and he seems to have gotten worse. Is it just a coincidence or does it gets worse before it gets better? When should i see results? I'm giving him the recommended dosage of 1/4 tsp everyday. We're using Udo's Infant Probiotics (got this at Whole Foods in the refrigerated aisle) and i mix the powder with a bit of breastmilk.

The last 2 days have been horrible. Constant crying at night (which he already had) but now he's crying or being fussy all day too. He is extremely gassy. I don't know what to do anymore to ease his pain. Warm baths seem to help only temporarily. What's your experience with probiotics?

Default Re: Probiotics on a colicky baby

We've been doing Gerber Soothe probiotic drops for a week or so and I think we are seeing some improvement. She still has crying spells but they don't seem to last as long. Also she is sleeping in her bassinet at night instead of in my arms, which helps me sleep a lot better. Not sure if it is the drops or just her outgrowing whatever it was that was bothering her before but I am a happy mama because of it.

No advice for you beyond this: hang in there, mama! This can't last forever.

Are you still coping with oversupply at all?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes but we are both better at dealing with this now. He is a pretty efficient feeder "on a normal day". When he's colicky he fusses and fight at the breast and it takes forever for a feeding because he stops all the time.

In that case, the oversupply could be part of the problem. A lot of babies have a Goldilocks approach to nursing- they are only happy when the milk comes out "just right". Too slow or too fast and they scream.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Do the probiotics contain whey or any milk form? If so that might be a problem. I found a probiotic that was soy and dairy free from Vitacost, I think it was called ABCdophilis or something for babies.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

The fussiness should not last long. My pedi gave me Simethicone Drops and it helped my LO a lot.