Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Healing crack leading to clogged ducts?

Default Healing crack leading to clogged ducts?

Hi ladies,

Just when I thought things couldnt be better with BF, I find clogged ducts developing this afternoon. My LO is 2 months old and feeds about every hour during the day. My breasts stay pretty soft. I have had this nasty crack on my left breast since the beginning (well, a few days after DD was born). It is on the right side of the left nipple. In the last few weeks it has slowly started getting smaller and scaring over!!! It is almost completely healed. When I pump I would notice milk coming out of the center of the crack. This afternoon, all of a sudden, I noticed a pain in the right side of my left breast (the same side as the crack). Even though DD had just fed off of it an hour ago, I decided to pump (she was taking a nap). Well, when I pumped, no milk came from the site of my crack.

Did I get clogged ducts on the right side of my left breast because the pore scared over? And what do I do about it? I've already had mastitis on the right breast. It was the worst!!!

Default Re: Healing crack leading to clogged ducts?

I don't think it's likely that the pore healed over. The pore should go all the way to the surface of the nipple, and the crack should be on the inside of the nipple. But anything is possible, I guess.

Keep pumping, vary your nursing position, do warm soaks, hand massage, massage with a vibrating tool (e.g. an electric toothbrush handle or personal massager), try dangle nursing (baby lying on her back on the floor, you on all fours above her), and stay alert for symptoms of mastitis. Hopefully this will clear up soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If it helps-- that happened to me too. (had a huge second degree crack, LC was so pissed Doc didn't say anything!) I noticed it found another place to squirt out of. WOrd of advice, Keep an eye on the latch bc when my crack finally healed and I could put my baby back on then I got a milk blister which led to a new tiny hole she sucks right near so took extra time to heal.

When I say I had/have "cracks", no no no, these are more like craters. The one on the left nipple was the size of a pencil eraser or your pinky nail. The one on my right nipple took up the whole underside of my nipple. I have been nursing on both sides despite the pain this whole time. It looks like abnormal tissue slowly filling in the craters, from outside in, like scar tissue. Its purple and smooth.

Is there a BF position that best drains the sternal side of the breast? Mommal, I will do your suggestions as well. Thanks!!!

If you try laid back breast-feeding positions, also known as biological nurturing, you can bring baby to the breast from any direction. This can be very helpful when trying to figure out positions to use while the breast is healing from cracks or injury. I have even nursed my baby over my shoulder.
    But such severe nipple injury concerns me. Did you ever see a lactation consultant? Has baby been assessed for tongue tie or lip tie? Is the pain gone or does it continue to hurt to nurse? Are you continuing to have new injury?

Keep experimenting with different positions. Every woman has slightly different anatomy, so every woman will respond differently to various positions when it comes to draining the breast.

I am with LLLMeg- severe nipple injury such as you describe suggests that there was something going on beyond the typical cracked nipple situation. Seeing a LC and getting the baby checked for tongue/lip ties is a very good idea if you haven't done it yet.

Kudos to you for nursing with such a severe injury. I have BTDT and I know how savagely painful it is. (And my kid had an undiagnosed lip tie, BTW.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Last night during a pump session, the ulcer pore opened up! Holy sweet relief! Like popping a zit, pain and pressure went away in minutes. I hope, as usafreat said, the pore finds a new route, because the left ulcer is about to complete scar/heal over.

At 10 weeks, there is very little pain when nursing, just a little soreness on the still large right nipple ulcer. But like I said, its getting smaller by the week. The damage happened because I was struggling with a bad spinal headache for days due to epidural. So nursing was something I just struggled through due to head pain, instead of getting good latches. Also, baby girl has torticollis so laid back nursing didnt work for us since she cant really turn her head. We have been getting good latches since the headache went away; but since I'm still nursing her on both sides, its taken this long to heal. And I really cant believe they are healing!!!

Yay for healing! I still remember the sweet incredulity I experienced when the right crack was suddenly a bit smaller, and then they were both shrinking... And finally they were gone! My experience was that I continued to have frequent blebs and plugged ducts even after the cracks healed. My kid's latch was off and while it got good enough that she wasn't causing cracks, she did still manage to generate a lot of blebs. If you haven't read the kellymom page on blebs and blisters, now is a good time to take a look.