Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 wks, sudden fighting at breast, oversupply?

Question 11 wks, sudden fighting at breast, oversupply?

Hello! My son is 11 weeks old and we have made a lot of progress with breastfeeding. We've had a lot of problems with it since he was born, but about two weeks ago we finally got him latching well (his latch his still shallow but he'll actually stay latched on).

To give a quick history, in case that helps at all, I was using a nipple shield for the first 6 weeks. The LC at the hospital told me I had flat nipples (I really don't) and had to use one, which he got used to. I would pump once a day so my husband could feed him once at night. At 6 weeks we stopped using the nipple shield but he was still having some problems staying latched on. That same week there were two days where we were visiting family and I had to pump several times because he's always taken a very long time to nurse and it was too hard for me to do with a cover. The pumping caused an oversupply and we had a rough few days and some green poo. By 8 weeks of exclusively nursing and no pumping, things seemed to have regulated. I still have a fast flow and he never likes taking the let downs. My LC, after making a comment that my flow is too fast for him, has stopped responding to my attempts to set up another appointment. Then I started back to work at 9 weeks...

I work from home and was planning on nursing while at my computer (my husband is doing school online and watching our son during the day), but again with the long feeding and latching problems he would take too long to nurse and it needed too much attention for me to work. After a few days of not getting any work done I decided to give in and pump. Being scared of messing up my supply again I've only been pumping one side at a time (he's been eating this way since our first oversupply issue), and pumping every two hours for 10-15 min. At week 10 we figured out the boppy was a bad position for him and I stopped using any sort of nursing pillow, and his latch got MUCH better! Now he only has problems latching when my breasts are really fully. He still eats slow and I have to burp him a LOT, so I still can't feed him while working. Within the last several days he's started to sleep longer and only wakes up once a night instead of twice. In the morning, when I would usually feed him before work, my breast that I need to feed him from is engorged. He has a very hard time latching and doesn't eat much and spits up a lot. At night, he's always eaten a ton, he's started acting CRAZY. At this point my breasts are pretty soft and we usually feed on both sides because he eats so much. What he's started doing is eating, burping, eating, burping, then he'll start squirming really bad when I'm trying to burp him and start looking around all over the place. I'll put him back down to nurse and he cries, but then he'll latch on. Once he's latched on he shakes his head with my nipple in his mouth, pulls on it, kicks his legs real hard, and when he loses the latch he squawks at my until I latch him back on where he continues to act crazy. He does this until he passes out. Then, the last two days, both early morning and morning feeding, he'll latch on, eat for several minutes, come off to burp, and then refuses to eat anymore. Since he usually takes a long time to eat I feel like he's definitely not getting enough. He did this this morning and would actually cry when I offered him my breast again. He ended up falling asleep, only to wake up an hour later crying and hungry. My husband has fed him 4 ounces since then.

I'm soooo confused!!! I don't know if the pumping is causing a supply issue again? Is it too much in the morning, too little at night? Too much all the time and he's just refusing to eat from me? Prefers the bottle over me? I only nurse him during the weekends, so I guess we'll see how things go (I'm posting this on friday). I'm just feeling very defeated. I don't have any other option than to pump, but it seems like that's what is causing this crazy behavior. Does anyone have any advice or ideas as to what's going on?

Default Re: 11 wks, sudden fighting at breast, oversupply?

You have made a lot of progress! You've gotten rid of the shield, you've dealt with an oversupply problem, you've figured out how to nurse without the Boppy- I think you're doing really well, considering that your baby is just 11 weeks old!

Your baby's behavior is really, really normal. Frustrating, but normal. First, it sounds like you still occasionally have too much milk, like when you wake up in the morning. When a baby has to deal with a lot of milk and a fast flow, he's going to do all sorts of funny things, like pulling off the breast and screaming at you while he's waiting for the flow to slow down, burping and spitting up, clamping down on the nipple to try to control the flow, and acting like he can't decide whether or not he wants to nurse more. Babies have a high need to suck and sometimes their tummies get full before that need to suck has been fully satisfied, at which point the baby has to decide: stop nursing and miss out on the comforting feeling of nursing, or nurse more and risk ending up with an overfull tummy?

Evening fussiness is also textbook. It's probably got nothing to do with milk supply- if you can meet your baby's needs throughout the rest of the day, then you have enough milk in the evenings. It might have to do with the bottle. Baby spends all day bottle-feeding, and then in the evening he has to readjust to the breast, which delivers milk in a different way. Or it may have nothing to do with feeding at all. A lot of babies are evening fussers, sometimes so much so that their behavior is described as evenings-only colic, or the witching hour(s). If this is the case, try switching up your baby's sensory inputs when he gets fussy. Put him in the bath. Take him outside. Put him in the sling and go for a walk, or give him a ride in his stroller or swing. And of course, keep on offering the breast!

It sounds like you have a wonderful work set-up, where baby is accessible to you all day long. Correct? So if you feel that bottle-feeding is causing problems for you, maybe take a few more opportunities throughout the day to nurse. Nurse at lunch. Maybe once or twice more, if you can make that work with your work obligations.

Don't worry about the lengths of your baby's feedings. It is normal for young babies to spend a very long time on the breast- sometimes up to an hour- and to feed very frequently. A 60-90 minute interval between the beginning of one feeding and the beginning of the next is quite common.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbmom View Post
    What he's started doing is eating, burping, eating, burping, then he'll start squirming really bad when I'm trying to burp him and start looking around all over the place. I'll put him back down to nurse and he cries, but then he'll latch on. Once he's latched on he shakes his head with my nipple in his mouth, pulls on it, kicks his legs real hard, and when he loses the latch he squawks at my until I latch him back on where he continues to act crazy. He does this until he passes out.
    This sounds very similar to what my LO will do. We usually attribute it to her being overtired and wanting comfort but not necessarily food. We don't use a pacifier but sometimes when she gets like this we will have her suck one of our fingers for a while and that will sometimes put her to sleep. Or we swaddle her and my hubby will walk her around the house until she falls asleep. I have also noticed that when I am feeling frustrated and overtired she seems to pick up on it and get more difficult to nurse, so I will have my husband take her for 10 minutes while I unwind with a book or computer game or stand in the shower. When that is the case just handing her to him usually calms her down. Then when I am more relaxed she will relax more and nurse if she is hungry.

My favorite trick for the evening fussies is a YouTube video called "baby got colic." It is a white noise clip that settles R down almost instantly. The video that goes along with it is kind of weird but I just flip my iPad upside down so I don't have to watch.

Thank you for the info, mommal! Yes, baby is accessible to me during the day. I took your advice and just tried to feed him during lunch, but he ended up falling asleep on me, haha. I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice avesnovuelan. I do notice that when my husband takes him from me during his fussy times he does calm down a bit. I'll try out that youtube video!