Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does frequency of letdown correlate with milk supply?

Question Does frequency of letdown correlate with milk supply?

Sometimes I feel letdowns like an hour and a half or 2 hours after feeding/pumping. Sometimes I feel nothing till 3 hours later (by which time, I'm usually nursing already). Sometimes I feel 2 letdowns in between feedings, sometimes none. What does this mean? Does it even mean anything? If yes, does it have to do with supply, like if my supply is low then I won't feel letdowns...

I feel pretty strong letdowns in between feedings, but feel weakish ones while my baby nurses or while pumping.

Also, I find that I can't produce a letdown shortly after I randomly felt one. Like if I randomly feel a letdown at 12:00 (not while feeding) then I nurse/pump at 12:15, I might not feel another letdown right away.

If I feel 2 letdowns between feedings, does it mean I'm supposed to be pumping/feeding more often?

My baby is 4 months + a week.
    Last edited by @llli*ruchiccio; February 27th, 2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: add details

Default Re: Does frequency of letdown correlate with milk supply?

Though I felt them earlier in nursing my let downs disappeared around six months or so when my supply really regulated. Unless I was in public and heard someone else's baby cry. I'd get a letdown then until after a year.

I dont think there is any correlation. My son is ten months old but I've never felt a single letdown. My supply is fine and I've even dealt with oversupply and over active letdown, but I've never felt anything--I would just see LO pull off and milk shooting out of my breast like a sprinkler! For ensuring baby is getting enough and supply is good, the reliable indicators are that baby is gaining well and wetting those diapers

I always thought that feeling in between feedings was a "refill" rather than a "letdown." Or is it the same thing? Mine aren't terribly predictable. I am trying to pay attention to them and if I ever feel one at work, pump ASAP... but I too am curious what it means!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xiaoshira View Post
    I always thought that feeling in between feedings was a "refill" rather than a "letdown." Or is it the same thing? Mine aren't terribly predictable. I am trying to pay attention to them and if I ever feel one at work, pump ASAP... but I too am curious what it means!
    If I feel one at work before my usual pumping time I don't go pump because then I won't feel another letdown so soon and I need a good letdown for pumping! I'd rather wait a half hour and then pump.

It is certainly true that a mother can have perfectly normal or even high milk production and not feel letdowns at all or only feel them very faintly. In my personal experience letdown sensation tends to reduce overtime even though milk production stays where it should be for baby. Also in my personal experience, letdowns might feel stronger in between sessions when baby is not nursing. I was assumed that was because the milk didn't have anywhere to go at those moments.
    However if I was feeling strong letdowns between my nursing sessions, I would certainly offer to nurse at those times, because offering to nurse never hurts and it may help in almost all situations. If I was at work and pumping I would just make sure I was pumping with the appropriate frequency. As close to your babies typical nursing schedule is best, although that's not always possible of course. I think the typical suggestion is to try to pump about every three hours.