Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and breastfeeding advice needed!!

Default Pumping and breastfeeding advice needed!!

I've been exclusively breastfeeding my 4 week old son since the day he was born. I always nurse him on demand. I'll be going back to work on April 14th and am trying to get on a pumping schedule in order to have enough breast milk stored up in preparation for him going to daycare. The problem is that he's been having some gas issues, making him very fussy to the point where all he wants is to be held and comfort nurse. As soon as he falls asleep after nursing I put him down and he wakes up and starts crying again.

I am not an advocate for letting him cry, especially at such a young age so I spend alot of my day comforting him. I have been giving him gas relief drops which help but don't completely alleviate the problem.

So my question is how am I supposed to pump more than once a day when he's being really fussy and I can barely find time to feed myself? I'm concerned that at the rate I'm going I'll never be able to pump more than 3 ounces a day ( 1 session lasting about 15 mins), which my son normally eats out of a bottle when my husband gets home. Should I hold off on bottle feeding until Im able to pump more of a supply?
    Last edited by @llli*momtobryson; February 27th, 2014 at 11:56 AM.

Default Re: Pumping and breastfeeding advice needed!!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

I think it's still early to be worrying about pumping. A lot will change in the next 6 weeks!

One thing that will be different once you go back to work is that you'll be bringing home fresh milk every day. So when you think about how much milk you need for you stash, it's really only 1-2 days worth. At around 1.5 oz per hour of separation from your baby, you're not looking at that much milk that needs to get socked away.

Since you've already introduced the bottle, I think you can feel free to continue to make it part of your life. But instead of giving your husband the full 3 oz you get from your one daily session, how about give him just 1-2? That way you can stash away at least 1 oz per day, and you'll have over 40 oz in the freezer by the time you go back to work!

If you feel like 1 pumping session per day isn't yielding enough milk, you definitely want to add in a second session. You can pump when your husband offers the bottle, you can pump right after your baby goes down for his first stretch of nighttime sleep, or if you're creative with your hands, you can pump one breasts while your baby nurses on the other.

If your baby cries every time you out him down, I suggest not putting him down. Wear him in a sling or try sneaking him into a swing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the comforting and supportive advice! I guess I wanted to start pumping now not only for the sake of my husband being able to give him the bottle (he's really wanted to be involved in feeding our son) but also so that in the near future before I go back to work, my husband and I can go out to celebrate our upcoming birthdays. As sad as it makes me to think of leaving my baby for a few hours, I need this time to prepare for being away from him for several hours while I'm at work. I know that sounds sappy, but it's the truth!

Last night my husband fed him 2 of the 3 ounces of milk I had pumped that day, and I'm not sure if he's going through a growth spurt or something but he wanted more! So we gave him the last ounce and he finished the majority of it.

It does help to know that I won't need to store more than 1- 2 days worth, but as a new mom I'm constantly worried that I'll send him off to daycare with less than the amount of milk that he'll want for the day, therefore making me feel like the worst mom ever! So I'd rather have more than what he needs so I dont have to worry about it.

Bottomline, I'm a planner and a worrier so I'm trying to develop a plan to ease my concerns. It sounds like 2 pumping sessions are in order, thankfully I have time to get there. In the meantime I'll try to get the 1 session in per day, store that milk, and focus the rest of my time on snuggling his discomfort away (he's passed out in a moby wrap as we speak!)

Here's what I did when I was in your situation: I pumped once a day and put the milk in the freezer. I did not give baby a bottle until the week before I went back to work, to make sure she would take it. If you are pumping 3 oz per day and you don't give bottles now, you should have plenty saved up by the time you go back to work, and you don't have to spend more of your precious maternity leave pumping, nor do you have to worry about pumping yourself into an oversupply. You will be doing PLENTY of pumping when you go back to work! For your night out with DH, you won't need much - if you are gone for 4 hours, let's say, and you nurse before and after, then you shouldn't need more than a few oz.

I know a lot of dads want to feel involved by being involved in feeding, but there are plenty of ways that dad can be involved that don't involve feedings. Baby wants to be held all the time? Really normal - but how about giving yourself a break and getting some baby-daddy bonding time by putting baby skin-to-skin on dad's chest? My babies and my husband absolutely loved doing that at that stage! Meanwhile, you take a shower, grab a bite to eat, take a nap or just relax for a few minutes.

Really important to keep in mind when baby goes to daycare that it's important not to overfeed. Babies can easily drink a lot from the bottle, so while they won't overeat at the breast, they can be overfed with the bottle. It helps to use paced bottle-feeding techniques and aim for 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour apart. If baby is overfed, it makes it hard for you to keep up, and it decreases baby's motivation to nurse when you're together, which can result in decreased supply. Here are some helpful links:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

I pump once/day. Every other day I put it in the freezer, the opposite days I divide the milk in two and put it in the fridge, so that we have one bottle per day with just enough milk for daddy to practice with. If baby is still hungry after the bottle I nurse her. Even if you pump while dad is giving her the bottle you can nurse her right away after. Your boobs will get the message and make some more milk - just as if baby decided to marathon nurse. They don't need time to refill. Pumping more than once/day at this state might put you into oversupply - not fun.

Thank you bfwmomof2 and avesnovuelan for the tips, very helpful!!