I am a new mom and have a few questions about breastfeeding.
1. I have trouble drinking plain water but love decaffeinated tea. I was told not to drink tea while breastfeeding but it's the best way I know how to get my water intake. Is drinking tea bad for milk supply?
2. My little one doesn't open her mouth all that big anymore to take my nipple, especially on my right side. When I do happen to get a big mouth and a good latch as soon as I remove my hand from behind her head she pulls her head back and then sucks my nipple and some areola, (sp?), into her mouth. After so many times of that my nipple starts to get sore but not too bad. Is her way ok or should I be doing something different? I have tried everything to get her to open wide. I have put my finger on her bottom lip to get her to open but as soon as I remove my finger she closes her mouth, I have tried sandwiching my nipple into her mouth, I have tried grazing my nipple over and around her mouth and nothing gets her to open big like she did at the hospital. Any suggestions?
3. When I cam home from the hospital, that first week my nipples were so sore due to bad latches that I wasn't able to breastfeed that much and used some supplementation formula and pumped as well as breastfeeding when I could. could that of messed with my milk supply? I don't think I make enough.
4. I pump my let down because it is so strong that my baby girl chokes on it. So that process takes about 5-10 min. If I pump any longer, when my pump goes into the slower suction, nothing comes out. So I always end up pumping the first 5-10 min of milk out. I don't give her bottles often, only when I absolutely need to, like if we are out at a restaurant or someone is sitting with her while I am running errands. Is there enough nutrients in that milk to make bottles with for my baby when a bottle is required?
5. I don't drink much but I have plans to go out this Friday and in 4 months for my birthday and was wondering how to do so with me breastfeeding. I drink mixed drinks and white wine. Like I said I don't drink much, doesn't take much for me and it really wont since it has been almost a year since I drank last. So does anyone know the right way to breastfeed/pump if you go out for a night that includes drinking?
I could really use the help so I appreciate any and all I get. Thank you.