Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: anyone have to leave a toddler for travel?

Question anyone have to leave a toddler for travel?

Hello - I am new to the LLL boards. I posted on the Extended BFing board about having to leave my son for a business trip.
    He just turned 2 and i have to go away for 4 nights in about 2 months.
    I would love to hear any stories about how nursing toddlers did while away from their moms and how it was when they got back.
    I am trying to encourage some weaning (he only nurses at night, but all night) and think it would be ok if he weaned while I was away (I don't think he will wean before then).
    thanks!
    Lisa

Default Re: anyone have to leave a toddler for travel?

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the boards! I went on a 2-night trip when my son was 13 months old, and it was very hard on all of us. DS wouldn't sleep at night while I was away, and I had to pump and dump so I could maintain my milk supply. My DS didn't wean and didn't want to be away from me for a second for days after we were reunited. As I look at future business trips I am trying to figure out how to bring him.

Since your son will be so much older, I don't know how much my story will help but I wanted you to get a response to your post. (and a speciall hello from another NJ mom!!)

Trisha - thank you so much for your reply. Where do you live in NJ?

Your post makes me glad that I brought Max to all of my other business trips, but it does make me worried about this one. Did your son stay up all night? I have a feeling my son might do the same - my husband and I went to a wedding and Max was with his grandfather. Max was up at 11 when we got home.

Were you able to pump enough to replicate your son's nursing? This is another concern of mine.

I would love to bring them. THey have come with me on every other trip to the point where I feel silly. We have to share rooms, DH just got a new job and it is far (AZ), so it is not practical for them to come. Of course the room share will also make pumping difficult . . .

Thanks again!

Hi,

I've had to leave my toddler for travel several times. The latest was for a week when she was 23 months. She was totally fine and asked to nurse when I got home. However, she was already self-weaned down to one nursing a day (to go to bed) by then. I was really worried about it, but she always seemed to pick up OK.

best of luck!

thanks Clay Mom! That makes me feel a little better. Did you have to pump? And your daughter went to sleep fine without you there?

Oo. I hadn't checked this thread in a while. Sorry I didn't get back to you. Once my daugther was down to once a day, I didn't have to pump at all when I went away. She doesn't always fall asleep at the breast, so she went to sleep OK, too. Sometimes she nurses and then asks for her dad to come in and shush or sing her to sleep. When I'm not there, he just does that (and gives her cow or soy milk from a cup).