Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Limit on oxycodone intake while breastfeeding 9 month old

Default Limit on oxycodone intake while breastfeeding 9 month old

Hi, new here!

I had surgery yesterday and the 5mg/325 oxycodone is simply not working to control my pain. I'm curious as to why there's a 30mg max per day dose while breastfeeding. I know it can affect him, that's not what I mean. When he was 3 months old I had another surgery and the 5mg definitely affected him. He was extra sleepy; not difficult to wake or missing feeding but it definitely made him more sleepy. Now, the 5mg doesn't affect him at all. Perhaps that's because he's eating more food and not breastfeeding as often, but I think it also has to do with him being bigger now (he's 20lbs). Basically, I'm curious why I can't take more than 30mg er 24 hours if it doesn't seem to affect him. I don't want to give him formula as he's never had any, and also because my older son (2years) had a terrible time with formula... It made him severely constipated. So I'm afraid to give him any.

I used up all my extra pumped milk with other surgeries I've had so I don't have any extra left. But I can't handle this pain its terrible. Any advice is appreciated.

Default Re: Limit on oxycodone intake while breastfeeding 9 month ol

Have you called infant risk about this? If anyone would be able to a clear answer regarding dosages, it would be them.

But....you can take up to 25 more mg in a 24hour period before it's a problem. So that is FOUR MORE of the same dose you took. BEFORE it's worrisome. So why not just try taking some more before worrying about if you can go over the limit that is dangerous?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    Have you called infant risk about this? If anyone would be able to a clear answer regarding dosages, it would be them.
    You can find Infant Risk here: http://www.infantrisk.com
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am taking 30mg per 24 hours. Im taking 5mg every 4 hours. I will look into infant risk, thank you for the info.

Are you doing anything else for pain management? Hard to know what to recommend without knowing more about your surgery but could you also take ibuprofen? Use some of your relaxation or breathing techniques from labor? I know those things are peanuts compared to oxycodone when you are in pain but it can't hurt, right?