Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Self-Weaning at 3.5-years; how to say goodbye?

Default Self-Weaning at 3.5-years; how to say goodbye?

We are finally at the "officially weaned" stage of our breastfeeding journey. My twins have nursed since they were born and they are 3.5-years old now. It's tough saying goodbye to nursing! But I know that we are there. My daughter has not asked to nurse in a month and a half and though my son still occasionally asks, it's been rare enough that the occasional session has become uncomfortable for me. His latch has slipped a bit and I just don't have much milk left. All in all, I think we are really at this big end phase.

My little girl knows that she is growing up and she's just busy and moving onto the next phase. At night she is happy to tuck into bed with her stuffed animals and light up turtle. I think she's proud of the fact that she can now go to sleep on her own without nursing to sleep.

My son is less okay with being done with nursing than my daughter. Given the discomfort of our very occasional (once every few weeks) sessions, I know that for me the right thing is to be done. However, I would like to find a way to acknowledge and "close" this chapter for my son while acknowledging what a HUGELY special part of his life and his relationship with me breastfeeding is. I am not keen on the idea of a Weaning Party but I was trying to think of something special to make him or get for him, something tangible that he could keep with him to remind him of the closeness that we did and do still share. I am not thinking of a truck or big toy, more something cuddly or just something that he would even enjoy looking at. He's a sentimental guy and he is very careful with (most of) his toys and he values things like a little photo frame of him and his twin sister. This is specifically with my son in mind, but I would do something (could even be a different something) for my daughter as well since closing with one and not the other could open the door for hurt feelings.

Does anyone have any ideas for a sweet weaning present?
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

Default Re: Self-Weaning at 3.5-years; how to say goodbye?

How about a story book that's all about him? With pictures of him as a newborn, as a baby, as a toddler, as a big boy going on all sorts of adventures? You could make a companion version for his sister, too.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Love that idea! Or maybe something to snuggle? Or do you have any sweet photos of him nursing? My daughter weaned very near that age (39 mos) and she still talks about nursing 16 mos later and likes the photos we have of her nursing. We did do cupcakes just with the 3 of us and took cupcakes to our IBCLC's bf-ing center.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Interesting idea, Mommal. He might really enjoy that.

Krystine, I think that is adorable that your daughter still talks about it. I am glad to hear it as I have been wondering if it will still be a conversation in our home for awhile (years?) or if it will just vanish completely. I've got some adorable pictures of my twins nursing (along with a ton of embarrassing ones, lol) and a photo collection could be neat!

Thank you for the thoughts, ladies.
    Mom to amazing twins!

Awww..that's bittersweet! I think a personalized book is a great idea. As for me, it is one of my most prized possessions as a child. Or how about a very special toy, something that shows how grown up they are?

I got DJ a crochet Booby Pillow. It looks like this only it's just one. http://www.etsy.com/listing/17011038...FUiGfgodT3sAiQ I paid $30 for it. He loves it. He's 8.

Way too lazy for formula

eve, I like the idea of a special toy, too, though I'm honestly stumped on what to give him. Last year he received these sweet nursing kittens (http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Toy-...ing+kittens)as a Hanukkah gift and he LOVES them. They are his most cherished toy. He sleeps with them on his pillow for nap and night time. If he hadn't already received those, I think they could have been perfect. It's hard to compete with something like that, to be honest! (My daughter has the nursing puppies set.)

djs mom, that is absolutely adorable that you got DJ a crochet booby pillow. I think that is so cute. Does he take it around with him? Show it off to friends? Snuggle with it at night? That is a very interesting idea.
    Mom to amazing twins!

He sleeps with it at night. He asked for it. Because he missed falling asleep on the boobs. I knew it was doable and it's a sweet reminder every day of this wonderful thing we did together.

Way too lazy for formula

I truly think that is so cute. I have no clue how my son might respond to something like that… I think he'd either like it a LOT or else think that I was a bit nutty for giving it to him. I admit that I had Etsy open last night to check them out and he came over and thought they were cupcakes. Now that he got excited about! It was too late at night for an actual discussion, so we all kind of giggled and went to bed. I think that I will chat with him this week and see what he is thinking. Maybe he will have a great idea, maybe he will want a "cupcake", or … Who knows? I'll let you know what he says.
    Mom to amazing twins!