Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird new issues w baby at feeds, super confused&freaked out

Default Weird new issues w baby at feeds, super confused&freaked out

I have seen a couple of threads but not really answers/follow up to this problem:

All of a sudden baby becoming fussy at breast: latching eats a few mins, but starts whimpering, unlatches, cries, acts like wants to feed but just cries. Calms when sits up or taken away from breast, when laid back down again, screams, arches back acts like in pain or something. A couple of feeds she popped off and cried but leaned in for it and when I went to relatch her she wasn't 'getting it' like she forgot what she needed to do or wasn't aware of what I was doing. (that sure scared me)

Also, noticed today that baby after eating, sucked on her mouth/lips. I tried feeding her more but she popped herself off. I stuck my finger in her mouth and she went for it but wasn't sucking normally but instead chomping or just sucking a bit haphazardly.
    This doesn't occur at every feed, and at night feeds are as seamless as before.

She just got her first round of vaccinations last week and I'm already paranoid they have affected her behavior or sensory or brain thanks to the 'autism caused by vaccines' I've heard floating around over the years.

This new behavior has truly sent me for a scare and have had a horrible day. If anyone has had this kind of situation I'd like to know what happened and how it resolved itself etc. Thank you ! oh, she is ten weeks

Default Re: Weird new issues w baby at feeds, super confused&freaked

Fussiness at the breast is one of those things that is really tough to explain. Only the baby really knows why she's doing it, and she's not going to tell you. But here are some possible explanations:
    - She's feeling a little under the weather from the vaccinations. That's a normal and quite common reaction. It's not autism, please don't worry about that! The autism-vaccine connection has been roundly and repeatedly disproven. So don't let the paranoia eat at you.
    - She's under the weather due to something else- a cold, an ear infection, a tummy bug.
    - She's going through a stage.
    - She's trying to stimulate her preferred milk flow- either slow it down if it's too fast or speed it up if it's too slow.
    - She's done eating, and you're trying to get her to feed when she's just not interested.

Do you happen to have a lot of milk? Maybe you feel full or engorged fairly often, your baby often coughs/gags/splutters/clicks when nursing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would suggest seeing a chiropractor or a cranial sacral therapist. They can adjust the baby's jaw very softly and usually the symptoms you're describing are fixed. I had a similar situation when I started breastfeeding and the cranial sac did wonders for my baby's latch.

One other possibility in addition to those Mommal mentioned is reflux. Happy when sitting upright and fussy when lying down sounds suspicious for that. My LO does the same thing from time to time. I will nurse her with her body as close to vertical as I can - her feet down between my legs, bottom resting on the nursing pillow and head up above her torso. I lean back a little at the same time to help her manage my heavy letdown. Sometimes when she seems hungry but refuses to nurse this is the only way she will settle down.

I've been wondering if she has reflux because she's been spitting up quite frequently. Don't know too much about reflux but starting to get more familiar with it since I've started seeing symptoms. I did bring her to an osteopath which helped with her initial jaw tension when she was a few weeks old. About the milk- I have always had a good amount. I don't feel let down, but know sometimes it's fast but she never cried or got fussy. I used to feel engorgement and if I went out would always wear breast pads just in case I leaked. I just started not wearing them for short outings. I do leak, just not always. My breasts used to feel full in the AM if she slept 4 hours, which has changed over the past couple of weeks. I can usually feel which breast was last eaten from as the other one feels full. I tried reclining during her last feeding but she didn't like that. Because of all of her odd feeding behavior, last diaper change she had a little green poo but all other poos were normal today. So I know she wasn't finished with the breast and was too fussy to continue. Through all of this my nipples have gotten really sore again. She has latch issues already and this has made her jaw tense up again. May have to go back to the osteopath...

How old is your baby? And how many times a 24 hour day does she usually nurse about?
    If you go to the website WWW.askDrSears.com they have what I think is a very good article about reflux- GERD
    As far as shots go of course they can make baby feel uncomfortable for a few days, and if you were really concerned of course you should talk to your doctor. But as long as baby is gaining okay overall I would not worry overmuch about this nursing behavior. In my experience just when you think you have your baby figured out, they throw something new at you. And this doesn't stop when they stop being babies either.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    How old is your baby? And how many times a 24 hour day does she usually nurse about?
    She is Ten weeks old, and nurses 8-10 times in a 24hr period

Okay good. I asked because sometimes if baby is put on a schedule and no longer cue fed the resulting artificial spacing of feedings or the infrequency of feedings can cause issues. How are things are going today?

I know for my son and I, ten weeks or so was a ' wake up' stage. Suddenly after weeks of wanting to nurse non stop, he really just wanted to walk around the house and look at stuff. I just tried to minimize distractions for the bigger nap time feedings, got in as many short feedings during the day as i could without pressuring him, and didn't worry because he ate so well at night while clearly still growing in every way. Your baby is likely close to or just starting to roll over and/or grab things with her hands as well? Milestones always wack out my kid 's behavior so that's something to consider.
    Time resolved this issue. 3-4 month old babies are notoriously distracted and fussy. I didn't know about this forum back then we just pushed through.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    I know for my son and I, ten weeks or so was a ' wake up' stage. Suddenly after weeks of wanting to nurse non stop, he really just wanted to walk around the house and look at stuff.
    I think somewhere between 2 and 4 months babies suddenly realize there is more to this world than their empty tummy and mama's boobies. They start smiling, laughing, paying attention to pets, taking an interest in toys, etc. A change in nursing behavior around the sane time makes sense.

Did you end up going back to the osteopath? Other good tricks for reflux include infant massage (search for it on YouTube) and probiotic drops. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271151.php Gerber sells one that is the same bacteria they used in that study - it is packaged as a "colic drop" but is really just probiotics. Or if you want to spend a little more money you can get organic probiotics at someplace like whole foods. Taking probiotics yourself never hurts either.

Another thing I have noticed - and I don't necessarily assume this applies to you but just in case - is that when I am stressed or anxious or frustrated or tired my LO seems to be able to tell and I have a much harder time getting her to nurse or soothing her when she is fussy. If I hand her off to daddy for 15 minutes and read a book or take a shower and then come back to it we do much better.