Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply... afraid that I might have to quit

Unhappy Low milk supply... afraid that I might have to quit

I have been battling having a low milk supply since I delivered my son six weeks ago. He had a very poor latch in the beginning and I was unable to keep up with pumping because he had some reflux issues (he needed to be held all the time).

Anyway, the latch issues are now resolved, but I still do not make enough milk to satisfy him. He will now only nurse for about 10 minutes a breast until the flow slows down and he becomes frustrated (he refuses to nurse after the flow slows). After I switch him back and forth one or two times, he screams because he is still hungry and so I supplement him with formula (1-2 oz).

I have tried increasing my water intake, taking fenugreek and pumping after nursing every 2-3 hrs; however, my supply does not seem to be increasing. The past few days, I get anywhere from only a couple of drops of milk after I nurse to an ounce if I pump while he is sleeping.

Two questions:

1) How much water should I be drinking?
    2) Has anyone had success with Reglan?

I fear that if things do not improve soon, I may have to give up.

Default Re: Low milk supply... afraid that I might have to quit

I really urge you not to quit. It sounds like you are working really hard to keep your breastfeeding relationship. I think you can work through this. Just give it a little longer and thing s will calm down. For now try some soothing music when you feed your baby, and skin to skin contact, massage, or warm bath together(anything that is relaxing). Offer to nurse often, even every 45 minutes to an hour. This will help boost your supply back up.

Here is a link to find a local LLL leader that can give you the best advice.
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

Hopefully someone else will have some info that will help.

I drink about 3 16oz waters a day. If you feel thirsty, you are already somewhat dehydrated.

Good luck. You can do it! I am proud of you trying to resolve the issues. So many Moms would have given up by now.

mama keep doing what your doing, any amount of breastmilk is worth it.
    Last edited by peachymomma; November 28th, 2006 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi there
    I'm going to move this question to Increasing Your Milk.
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hi There,

I'll echo the previous posters. Keep up the good work! You can do it!

The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make. Now that you have your latch issues resolved, your milk supply should start to catch up.

Have you considered taking a "babymoon"? That is, retire to bed for a few days with baby, a water bottle, some nutritous snacks and maybe a good book, and just nurse, nurse, nurse. Get help with the housework, meals, etc., and just relax and enjoy your baby.

HTH. I'm sure others will share what has worked for them, too.

Hang in there!

Tiana