Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need some help.

Default need some help.

I am a mom of 4 weeks old baby.Trying to breastfeed,she latches on only for 5 min then showing no interest either sleeping or screaming.We end up pumping and giving breastmilk with bottle each time which I don't want to at all.She is gaining and we have wet diepers but I would like her gettimg milk out of the breast not the bottle.
    I need some help.

Default Re: need some help.

I would guess that she prefers the bottle, simply because she doesn't have to work as hard to get the milk out-this happens in a lot of cases when bottle is itroduced. I would get her back on the breast as soon as possible, and keep working at it-she should eventually come around again for you.

Have you tried burping her or giving her a break for a minute or 2 then putting her back on? This sometimes works for me. If she's sleeping you could try waking her and putting her back on before going for the bottle.

Yes it definitely sounds like she prefers the bottle. The best way to get her back on the breast is to just take her to bed and stay there for 24hours! (Best done on a weekend so you can have the support of a DH/SO. Skin to skin with you and she may cry because she has already learned that if she does that, she doesn't have to work so hard to get fed. But usually the skin to skin contact really helps them. Their instinct is to find your breast. Lay her on you chest and just be committed to staying there for a full 24hours. GOOD LUCK!

Yes she had to stay in special care unit due to high fever when only 3 days old and was introduced with bottle.

Hi there!

I agree with DJ's mom. Just get all the skin-to-skin contact with her you possibly can. Take her to bed. Climb into a warm bathtub with her. Offer her the breast every time she acts hungry.

Here's an article that may help you:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

I'd also strongly suggest you get ahold of a Leader (click the link in my signature to find one) or an IBCLC in your area. You might need some in-person help getting her to latch the first few times!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!