Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: unidentifiable problem would love help

Talking unidentifiable problem would love help

Hello all,
    I have already had every BF issue under the sun and have worked with a lactation consultant. Baby is 2 months + few days, I've been exclusively BF entire time through allllll of the problems and pain. That being said, I can't figure out whether I have thrush reoccurring or if it's from strong suck or etc but my nipples are hot and sensitive after they were fine a few days ago. After she eats I have white nipple tips and it's painful for a bit but that's nothing new. They are not red or pink but very sensitive and hot. I don't have any burning. I was treated for thrush and the baby last week or two after having it for like, a month or more... (the lactation consultant never seemed concerned about it and was more focused on her upper lip tongue tie, I could have been treated WEEKS before for thrush and extra-suffered bc I was dealing with still healing from big cracks and trying to get her to latch better GRRrrr). The baby is much much better at latching what a difference a month has made so I don't think it's from improper latch but perhaps from her pulling on it or strong sucking as she does that when she has gas or at night it is stronger sometimes. The one thing that makes me think maybe it is thrush is that a couple times over the past couple of days she cried when I went to feed her. However she also suffers from some bad gas so if she has gas she doesn't want to feed, but this seemed more like something was uncomfortable or bothering her about the atmosphere. I have noticed that almost every time I was not at home when I attempted to feed her, or if was at home was around different people she's not accustomed to.
    About the upper lip tongue tie- I won't be addressing that issue further so perhaps it's that affecting the sucking still.

Would love to hear suggestions I've looked at every problem already and researched. The reason why I'm not reaching out to the lactation consultant again is because I'm pretty sure she's going to harp about the TT again instead of considering other causes.
    Thank you!!!

Default Re: unidentifiable problem would love help

White nipple and pain after nursing sounds like vasospasm.
    Thrush can take some time to clear up and will easily recur. Be sure to know tips for preventing recurrence.
    I am not sure what you are saying about the tt and liptie. Do you mean they were treated but it did not help? Or Do you mean you have decided to not have baby treated? Or do you mean you do not think that is part of the problem?
    If a baby has tt or lip tie those can certainly cause a poor latch which would contribute to the pain of thrush and exacerbate vasospasm. Plus overtime your milk production and baby's gain could be affected.

A baby pulling and tugging at the breast should not cause breast injury and bad ongoing pain if overall latch is good. But is it possible you have a fast letdown? That can cause baby to clamp and of course that can hurt. It also can cause excess gas although of course gas is also normal. Also positioning affects latch. Maybe when you are out you are using a different position?
    Is baby usually nursing frequently and on cue? Long stretches between nursing can cause excess crying, gas and even latch issues.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 24th, 2014 at 09:13 PM.

with LLLMeg. I am also curious about what treatment you opted for on the lip and tongue ties. Your LC may have a very good reason for being concerned about the ties: if they haven't been treated, they could be causing compression of the nipple resulting in vasospasm. And vasospasm and thrush are really tricky to tease apart- they have a lot of the same symptoms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

(Yes I do believe I have vasospasm, I know compression is happening often.) So, the baby has an upper lip tongue tie, and we didn't have a procedure done main reason being that we don't live in in the US, but in europe in a country that isn't too knowledgeable about it and doesn't perform them according to my LLL leader/IBCLC. She is extremely passionate about it so I do trust her. So in order to combat it she showed me a deep latch position which I've used since and really helped. Additionally, we went to an osteopath who helped baby's jaw tension. Combo of those plus a little time lead to a much better latch. Cracks finally went on their way to healing but I did realize I had thrush, and suspected it for a long time. For me it was confusing as to whether it was latch issues or thrush. Thrush was treated and I was having some time of easy BF.

Then a couple of days ago the areolas felt sensitive and hot. What I think happened is that I got lazy about the latching, esp at night half asleep or in the dim lighting, and just latched her on half mindful because all was well and I stopped thinking about it obsessively. So I am back to focusing. I am wondering if I do have quick let down, it hasn't seemed to be a problem. The new behavior/ occasional fussiness crying when eating thing has my attention. Could it be her age since her eyesight is better now she can get distracted and into something? She nurses frequently whenever she wants it she gets it about every 2.5 hrs generally. She doesn't cry from anything unless it's gas so at first I thought it was coincidental but after a few days of it happening sporadically I don't think it's gas.

update. doc said engorgement
    Last edited by @llli*usafreat; February 28th, 2014 at 06:53 AM.

I already posted in your other thread but I'll say it again. Phooey. I don't think your doc is right. Have you called the l c again yet?

calling her today about it (LC). I don't think he is either, the things that make me consider maybe he is right is that i can't feel a lump, i don't have redness, both are sore, and baby switched around her eating. no fever. I have experienced a plugged duct before, that was different...k called LC going w mastitis too late in the game for engorgement
    Last edited by @llli*usafreat; February 28th, 2014 at 11:38 AM.