Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 month old, won't open to latch wide

Default 1 month old, won't open to latch wide

Hi all! My one month old had a tongue and lip tie revised at 2 weeks. Always nursed from birth but latch was never wide and tongue humped back. Even post revision I see the same issues for the most part. (We are working on it with sone mouth exercises) The biggest problem is at night. We cosleep and have been trying to nurse side lying (because let's face it, that's a huge advantage to cosleeping!!!) But my sweetie won't open her mouth. ..she fusses with mouth barely open and is giving me signs she is hungry. I line us up and try to get her to latch but she seems so confused. Sometimes in desperation I try to literally put my nipple in her mouth and use my fingers to open her mouth so I can get it in (cringe...I know this isn't the way it should work...). Is this closed mouth thing something some babies just grow out of with time and side lying will be possible? Is she confused bc of where pressure is on her body ( chin and face don't really have contact and she's on her side against the bed)? I'm at a loss...I've even wondered if it's bc it's dark lol. I'd love to hear any tips!!! TiA
    Happy mama of a lovely DD (3/13/12). Still and loving it more every day!
    My DH and I have one sweet who we send love to in heaven (miscarried 10/18/13)

Most favorite moments are when DD pops off for a moment, looks me in the eye, and says "Love you mama" while nursing. My heart melts!

Default Re: 1 month old, won't open to latch wide

at that age, I wasn't successful enough with side lying nursing with my DS.
    He would latch on but the milk transfer just wasn't happening so I would get up every 3 or 4 hours to nurse until we finally managed to improve his latch and my supply to the point that side lying would work.
    DS didn't get his tt/lt corrected till 8 weeks and we didn't get the physical therapy for him till 3 months and side lying wasn't really successful till 4 months.

Of course now that he is often happy to stay latched on most of the night, I'm finding that it is giving me back issues.

You might experiment with sitting up to get her latched and started and then see if you can mange to lye back down without detaching. Or try a little bit of light to see if that helps (or maybe try it during the day when you are both fully awake and see if that helps you figure out the tricks.)

FYI, even if nursing in bed doesn't work for you just now, co sleeping has the advantage of you getting more sleep since a sleeping baby is more likely to stay asleep when in contact with mom so getting back to bed after nursing is usually far quicker than if you are attempting to put her down in a bassinet.

Thanks for your response and tips! Perhaps it just takes time I'll try to sit up at the start (I've told myself I'm going to do that but when it comes down to it I'm so so lazy at night lol)...very good point about how baby is likely to stay asleep much more easily than if I put her in a bassinet! What are you doing about the back issues? I think my little one would also stay latched all night but I also find that I get very stiff and achy so I often try to slide my nipple out once I wake up and realize she's attached but not actually nursing. I don't know if that will always work though
    Happy mama of a lovely DD (3/13/12). Still and loving it more every day!
    My DH and I have one sweet who we send love to in heaven (miscarried 10/18/13)

Most favorite moments are when DD pops off for a moment, looks me in the eye, and says "Love you mama" while nursing. My heart melts!

I try to use pillows behind my back but I'm still being driven out of bed a couple times a night with back pain. I need to do more yoga I think.