Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refusing bottle ***help

Default Refusing bottle ***help

Hello I am new to thread and needing some help. My Lo is 6 weeks and 2 days old. She is strictly BF. There are sometimes I not around to BF so I would like her to drink from bottle. My husband and I have been trying for 3 days now and it's frustrating because our Lo just cries and I end up BF so she is not starving. We have tried dr browns and tommee tippee bottles and no luck. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Refusing bottle ***help

Mine took really well to the platex nurser with the slow flow nipple. It also usually helps if mama leaves the room while dad tries the bottle. Also for these first few practice sessions it may help to try when baby isn't super hungry. Offer just 1/2 an ounce 1-2 hours after she nursed last.

Are you giving expressed breastmilk? Fresh or previously frozen? Have you tasted the milk? Some moms have issues with an enzyme called lypase that makes the milk taste soapy after some time in the fridge or freezer.

Thanks for the tip! I am going to try out that brand. I give frozen expressed milk. I have
    Not tasted it

have you tried letting your husband offer the bottle when you aren't there. Some babies will refuse the bottle as long as they know mom is in the house. They have a sixth sense about these things.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    have you tried letting your husband offer the bottle when you aren't there. Some babies will refuse the bottle as long as they know mom is in the house. They have a sixth sense about these things.
    Yes, but I was in the house. Two weeks ago I had to go to by obgyn 4-6 week check up and he was able to give her the dr browns bottles. I don't know if she was just starving. I will have my husband yet again when he returns from work, but I will take a walk around the block. Hoping my LO takes the bottle, should I incorporate bottle every few feedings or once a day?

Babies are also picky when it comes to the temperature so you might want to warm the bottle a little before feeding. Give just small amounts at first, then gradually increase as she adjusts.

I found this article too. You will get a lot of info that might help you. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ative-feeding/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mjgirl View Post
    Hoping my LO takes the bottle, should I incorporate bottle every few feedings or once a day?
    Once she figures it out I would do at least one every couple days. I have heard of babies forgetting how to take a bottle if they go too long without one.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post
    Once she figures it out I would do at least one every couple days. I have heard of babies forgetting how to take a bottle if they go too long without one.
    Thanks for the advice. Do you think I waited too long to introduce at 6 weeks? I just waited due to making sure my supply keeps up with her

I'm sure 6 weeks is fine. I imagine plenty of moms wait even longer. I think the trick to introducing a bottle is to be persistent. Baby will get it eventually. If not you could see if your caregiver is willing to try a spoon or syringe.