Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Needing a refresher please!

Talking Needing a refresher please!

I haven't done this in over 2 years and my mind has gone blank!

When do you give more than 1 solid a day?
    When do you increase the amount of a solid (like at dinner from 1 oz to 2 oz)?
    When do you start to decrease the amount of BFing? (we're at 5x now and have been for a long time)
    Approx how many times should LO nurse/bottle at ages 7 mo-12 mo?

I know every child is different, I have a decent storage built up of frozen milk (as of right now, just over 2 months worth) and am trying to figure out when I should start using it, and when to increase solids. I know I'm a little early in increasing but this is for a future FYI moment for me. DD is 6.5 months old, loves solids (so far), we've introduced only cereal and 2 veggies. I love nursing, don't get me wrong, I'm a planner and am having major brain farts!

Also, DD refuses to drink from a bottle, I am a SAHM and cannot figure out how to get her to take a bottle and if a soft nippled sippy cup might help her take my milk when I cannot nurse. (I'm going to a concert this week and grandma will have the kids)
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Needing a refresher please!

I don't think there needs to be a set schedule for upping the solids - remember at this point solids are for learning tastes, textures, and the motor skills to self-feed. So really you can do the solids when it's convenient - when you are sitting down for a bite yourself, for example. If you let baby self-feed, then you don't have to worry about how many oz - baby will feed herself according to what she wants. Again, since solids are not really for nutrition at this point, it doesn't really matter whether she eats 1 oz or 2, and there are plenty of babies this age who will have no more than a bite here or there, which is also perfectly fine. The one thing to make sure of is that baby does not eat solids INSTEAD of breastmilk. To help make sure that's the case, you might want to nurse before solids.

Because breastmilk is the mainstay of nutrition in the first year, you don't really want to be decreasing the amount of nursing you do until at least after baby's first birthday (and after that, depending on how quickly your toddler takes to solids, you might find she doesn't decrease her nursing amount until well into the second year - it varies from toddler to toddler). Most babies this age will be nursing minimum 8 times/24 hours, and more often 10-12 times or even more, so at 5x I would say you are already nursing less than average. That may be perfectly fine for your baby (sounds like it is if you have been doing it for a while and she is gaining weight well) but you might want to be cautious about dropping down even less than that.

Perfectly fine to try to give your LO milk in a cup. Or your LO might choose to just wait it out and wait for you to get home. Enjoy the concert!

with the PP. Especially about nursing frequency. Most babies this age are nursing a minimum of 8x per day, so I'd say nursing just 5x per day is on the extreme low end for frequency, and I personally would increase the number of times she nurses rather than increasing the amount of solids she's eating.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Ladies! I had my DD's 6 month well check today and was re-assured the same thing. I feed DD on demand and she typically goes 3-3.5 hours between feedings with no night time feeding. She will go to bed around 8 or so and wake up around 7. DD has always been a very fast nurser (6-10 minutes total) and I've been down to only 5 feedings a day since December when she was 4 months old. Rarely do we hit 6x. I'm not sure how I could increase nursing other than trying to feed her every 2 hours but at 6.5 months old, we're 21 lbs, 9.5 oz and 26 inches tall. She's in the 98th and up on weight and 55-60th on height. Sounds like I just need to keep doing what I'm doing and perhaps try a soft nippled sippy cup with some milk to see if she'll take that since we can't do a bottle. I'd like to give her breastmilk for the first year of her life and the rate I'm going, I put probably 8-10 oz in the freezer a day because I'm still full in the morning and she only nurses on one side.
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

There is no need to ever worry about decreasing nursing sessions. This happens gradually overtime as very very slowly baby takes in more solids. Since you baby already nurses with very low frequency, which I assume is due to the fact you clearly have a very abundant milk production and large breast capacity, you could expect baby to nurse at least as often as baby does now until we'll past a year.

I have introduced 3 kids to solids and I personally have found the baby led solids(aka baby led weaning) approach my favorite. If you read the book my child won't eat, he explains that many of the typical "rules" of solids introduction are based on opinion or outdated or poorly done research.

As far as nursing frequency goes, obviously your baby is gaining great probably due to
    The factors I mention above. But you just want to be aware that infrequent nursing, and in particular long sleep stretches with no nursing will reduce milk production over time, and in many cases to the point that there is not enough milk eventually. This is why meal scheduling and sleep training is linked to poor weight gain and lactation failure. Of course if a mom starts with a very abundant supply then she may continue to have enough anyway. It's an individual thing.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 24th, 2014 at 10:16 PM.