Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it normal ?

Default Is it normal ?

I have been breast feeding my triplets for 8 mos now and I plan to wean them at 12 mos. I feel sad just thinking about it I thought I would feel happy an relieved. Is it normal to feel sad? How do you get over it?

Default Re: Is it normal ?

It's totally normal to feel sad at the idea of weaning. With DD1 I had planned to wean at 12 months, but by the time she was around 8-10 months old I couldn't imagine weaning. It made me too sad. So the way I got over it was not weaning when I had originally planned. I ended up nursing her until she self-weaned at age 3, and even then I was a bit sad to have that part of her life pass, even though I was also very ready by that point.

Toddler weaning is a lot different from and less demanding than nursing young babies. It becomes increasingly a mothering tool and less and less of a nutritional necessity. Your toddler bumps her head, or is cranky, or won't go to sleep, or feels sick- that's when nursing turns into a super-power to solve all those problems. If you decide not to wean, I think you'll be glad!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Totally normal to feel sad, and I definitely agree that toddler nursing continues all the nice parts of infant nursing (closeness, soothing, plus the cute toddler nursing behaviors) without some of the stresses (having enough, having to pump during separations etc).

Maybe I need rethink it. But if your not feeding all the time or pumping how do you maintain your milk ?

The answer is that once children are eating more solid foods, they do not require as much milk. This is why once children start eating solid foods that is the beginning weaning. The weaning process may take months and even years, but it begins when the child takes their first bite of solid food.
    So of course if you're not nursing is often, milk production gradually goes down. But that does not mean it goes away entirely. Many children nurse to her three times a day for many months or even years. The mother does still have milk but of course not nearly as much as she did when the child nursed eight times per day.
    It is a slightly different question of what to do when a mom is not with her babies all day. If you decide to no longer pump at work, then your milk production will go down faster then it would have normally. But that may or may not be a problem. It really depends on you and your babies, and what your goal is for nursing.
    I believe there is an article on this site about weaning and mothers feelings. Yes It is normal to feel sad whenever breast feeding ends. But if it's ending earlier than your heart would desire, that is usually a bit sadder.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    It is a slightly different question of what to do when a mom is not with her babies all day. If you decide to no longer pump at work, then your milk production will go down faster then it would have normally. But that may or may not be a problem.
    It definitely has not been a problem for me. And my LO is perfectly happy to nurse all day long on the weekends!