Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pulling off over and over???

Default Pulling off over and over???

Lately LO, 11 weeks, has been pulling off the breast and going back on over and over during her nursing sessions and its driving me nuts. It usually happens more often when she's alert but it also happens when she's sleepy. Anyone know why she's doing this??? When I am slightly engorged I understand why she does this but lately it's happening at every feeding...

Default Re: Pulling off over and over???

My guess is that it's just a quirk. Really common in babies this age. It may be that baby is trying to control your milk flow- either slow it down if it's too fast or speed it up if it's too slow.

Just be patient with her! She'll figure out a more effective nursing style in time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    My guess is that it's just a quirk. Really common in babies this age. It may be that baby is trying to control your milk flow- either slow it down if it's too fast or speed it up if it's too slow.

Just be patient with her! She'll figure out a more effective nursing style in time.
    Thanks for the reassurance! I'm just worried she's not getting enough when she's off and on like that...

Watch her diaper output, then. Normal output = normal input.

Also, older babies often become highly efficient at the breast, getting everything they need in just a few minutes at the breast. So don't be too shocked if your baby is suddenly done pretty quickly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal. Your LO might be doing this now but it will not continue for a very long time. Once she has learned what nursing technique works best for her, then it will make BF comfortable for both of you. You will know she's not getting enough if she loses weight and output changes.

Is she initiating switching sides or are you doing it to calm her down? If she's fussy and you're moving her back and forth to calm her maybe it's a growth spurt.