Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gone all day with no pump

Default Gone all day with no pump

My little one is 16 months and still breastfeeds. Sometimes, she goes a few hours without breast milk and is fine eating other foods (she eats pretty much anything now). We have tried giving her whole milk too, but she isn't really interested in that much. She also doesn't drink my frozen milk or pumped milk much anymore. She just doesn't seem interested unless it's fresh from the breast.

Anyway, tomorrow I have the opportunity to have a girls' day with some of my closest friends, which will last all day, from probably around 1pm to sometime around 10pm, give or take. My mom offered to watch my LO for me, since I have not had such an opportunity since my LO was born.

I'm worried though, of course. I know she will be fine without my milk for that amount of time, (since she can receive other forms of food now) and that I will be able to nurse her when I get back. I just wonder how well I will do without being able to pump all that time. The thing is, I forgot my hand-pump at home, and I'm about 2 hours away from home now. We are headed out tomorrow, and I won't have time to go get the pump before then.

A friend of mine is going on the trip with us, and she is breastfeeding too, but she has her pump, and will pump on our trip. It's not that I wouldn't mind pumping. I just won't have a pump handy. Sorry I'm being so wordy. My question is, what would you all do? I could express my milk by hand I suppose, although it's harder and messier than using a pump. I just want to relieve the pressure that may build up when I'm not able to feed her for several hours. I've gone 5 hours before and it's been okay, but not usually more than that, and I'm worried I'll be miserable.
    Breastfeeding stay-at-home mama of a 16-month-old daughter.

Default Re: Gone all day with no pump

I'd either hand express for comfort, or share your friend's pump IF you both feel comfortable with that (a lot of pumps are single user, but for me if it were someone I was close enough to to share medical histories, I would personally feel comfortable with that. I guess it's also a question of whether she's pumping to take the milk home, and has extra bottles to pump into). Have a good time!

Thank you! She says she's pumping to bring back to her son. She did mention another pump! I should ask her if she's comfortable with me borrowing one!
    Breastfeeding stay-at-home mama of a 16-month-old daughter.

Don't be surprised or hurt if she's not. A lot of moms are pretty wedded to the "single user" concept and just don't feel like sharing an intimate article even with the best of friends.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"