Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing to sleep for naps

Red face nursing to sleep for naps

Hi ladies!

How many of you do this? I have a 6 month old and this is how I get her to nap. She is a cat napper and I am wanting her to take longer naps. She sleeps great during the night and loves her night time routine but the nap time routine not so much. Any ideas? I've also read on other forums mixed reviews about nursing to sleep so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: nursing to sleep for naps

Nursing to sleep gets a bad rap from a lot of people. They always have their reasons, e.g. that nursing to sleep makes babies dependent, or means that only mama can get the baby to sleep, or it's a bad habit, or will turn them into axe murderers, whatever. But none of that matters!!! What matters is whether or not you feel that nursing to sleep works for you and your baby. If it does, keep doing it! If not, find another way.

I nursed my kids down for naps until age 2-2.5. It worked wonderfully and they transitioned away from it on their own, no struggles necessary. I found that motion was key for my kids. Baby #1 was happiest napping in her swing, and baby #2 napped best in her stroller. If I tried to put them down in a crib, they were up 20 minutes after I nursed them to sleep. But in a swing or stroller, they'd nap for an hour. Bliss.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you!

My DD will be 12 months in a week. I work...but for the last year ALL naps that I am home for she nurses to sleep and stays napping and dream feeding through her nap on my lap. She still naps just fine in the pack and play when she is at the babysitters. It also helps me make sure she is getting enough nursing in throughout the day. She is a busy girl now a days! Mammal is right about it getting a bad rap...you just have to ignore those people and do what works for you and your family.

As far as getting her to sleep longer. For us it seemed like DD would take like 3 naps about 20-30 min long and one long nap until she was around 8-9 months. Now she will take 2 naps morning nap is about 1 hour and afternoon nap is about 3 hr. I just let her decide when she wants to nap we don't have a scheduled. Although she seems to get sleepy around the same time everyday. We found its easier if we just go with the flow...she will not sleep if she isn't ready.
    First time momma to one amazing baby girl 2/28/2013
    Natural non medicated hospital birth

We also practice EC

Nursing to sleep is normal and healthy. Being able to nurse a child to sleep is one of the wonderful gifts of breast-feeding for mothers. I have three kids and I doubt I would've survived parenthood without being able to nurse my children to sleep. And just by the way they definitely stop needing to be nursed to sleep and can go to sleep on there own when they are developmentally ready.

In order to get longer naps, I usually would lay down with my kids so that I could simply nurse them again when they stirred. If I did not want to sleep I would read. With my current 18-month-old, I am able to get up do and do things around the house and if I hear her wake I can go in and often I am able to nurse her back to sleep. This is the first time I've been able to do that she is my third child.

Sometimes time will help with the nap lengthening, too. My daughter was never able to take longer than 20 minute naps during the day until she was about 9 months old, when they lengthened to 40 minutes. Now, at 15 months, they average about an hour. I work outside of the home during the week, so I can vouch for the fact that nursing down for naps is NOT what is causing the short naps--in our case, nursing down for the naps (and even nursing through the entire nap!) does not change her nap pattern at ALL. She does the exact same thing with her nap patterns during the week as she does when I am home on the weekend with her, where I still nurse her down and all throughout her naps.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Thank you ladies! I have tried the CIO method twice and I can't do it. I personally don't think it's a "self-soothe" technique. I will keep doing what I am doing as it works for us. I do notice that now she will sometimes take an hour or longer nap but it's been inconsistent. Sounds like from what I am hearing this will become more consistent with time. Thank you all for your replies!