Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to adjust to baby sleeping longer at night

Default How to adjust to baby sleeping longer at night

So since my 11 week old was born he has preferred to nurse every 2 hours except for when he was 7-10 days old, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 5 weeks, when he was having growth spurts and wanting to nurse every hour to 1 1/2 hours. Consequently, I am more used to adjusting to more frequent nursing sessions. About 2 1/2 weeks ago my son started sleeping for longer periods at night ranging from 3-5 1/2 hours at a time. So, I was wondering if during one of those long stretches of sleep if I should pump? If so, what should I do with this extra milk? Should I not pump so that my body adjusts to his needs? I am just unsure what to do and I don't want my supply to dwindle because my body thinks my baby doesn't need as much milk because during the day he still nurses every 2 hours.
    DS Born 12/05/2013

Default Re: How to adjust to baby sleeping longer at night

Assuming baby is gaining weight well, it's fine for him to have a longer stretch at night at this point. No need to pump. If he starts waking at night again more frequently to nurse (as may very well happen - so enjoy it while it lasts!), at that point his increased nursing will tell your body to make more milk. Sounds like you are getting in plenty of nursing overall and that's the most important factor for maintaining your supply.

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with PPs. Don't wake yourself to pump! Enjoy the sleep (you'll need it). Also, as babies get older, they become more effective at nursing. So, while he may not nurse as frequently at night, he may be drinking more milk at each of these sessions, thereby getting what he needs to grow and signaling your breasts to keep making the milk. It's natural for babies to start sleeping longer at this point. Don't worry, he'll wake more when he starts teething!

Hi milkinmami. You nurse every 2 hours during day time and you may not have enough sleep. I think it's good news that your baby sleeps longer at night. You don't have to pump. Your body will adjust eventually. I think you're doing great with BFing your LO.

I went through this. I was so glad when my daughter started sleeping through the night. She sleeps so well that I wake before her most mornings! I keep a single manual pump on the nightstand so that if I wake up super engorged I can pump enough to relive the discomfort and go back to sleep. I save the milk in bags in the freezer in case I find a need for them later.
    Lisa & David Est. 9/3/11
    Madeline 12/31/13