I have some concerned about my son, Callen. He is 5 months on Monday and was born at 6 pounds 14 oz. I took him to his 4 month appointment on January 7th, where he weighed in at 14 pounds 2 oz. Today, I took him into our public health center for a weight check and he was 14 pounds 5 ounces. He has 6+ good wet diapers a day, and poops every day or two. He has been exclusively BF and on demand since birth.
1. Recently (in the past 2-3 weeks), he's become very distracted during feedings. I have a 2.5 year old son and also watch a 2 year old girl, so there is a lot going on in my house. My son will pull off the breast ever minute or so, then finally decides he's done eating. It doesn't seem that he's getting a full feeding. I know babies become more efficient nursers as they grow, but 2-3 minutes doesn't seem long enough. I've tried feeding him in a separate room which does help, but I hate leaving the toddlers unsupervised while I do this.
2. I'm worried about such a small weight gain in 2 weeks, only 3 ounces?
3. Also, to make matters worse, he has stopped sleeping 7pm-11/12pm now (when the 4 month fussies hit), and wakes up every 1-3 hours throughout the night. I always go to his room and feed him immediately when he cries. We used to co-sleep, and I'd be open to doing it again, except he's very restless when in our bed nursing, he won't quite relax enough to fall asleep, even with his sound machine on.
4. Could he be reverse cycling at night since he's too distracted to eat during the day? I feel like all I do is constantly "offer" him the breast b/c I don't know when he's hungry! He's a laid back baby who recently has gotten fussier throughout the day.
5. Low Milk Supply issue maybe that's why he's frustrated?
The public health nurse is recommending that I try "Scheduling" his day feedings (3-4 hours) in an attempt to get him to go back to taking full feedings/sleeping longer at night. Also, to not nurse him down for naps/sleep anymore either since that might be causing some of the night wakings. She also said that according to the Mayo Clinic, he should be gaining 5-7 ounces a week.
I'm torn. I am struggling a little and feel overwhelmed most days, like I'm barely surviving. Not just with the lack of sleep, but with the stress of knowing if I'm feeding Callen enough/often. I feed him anytime he fusses because I don't know if he's full or not from the previous, short feed. I doubt my milk supply is low because I pump 2-3 times a day (just to put milk in the freezer) and can get 2-4 ounces each time, and this is always after I feed him.
I'm torn between trying a schedule to get my son sleeping better so his brain development is good, and between just "following my sons cues." I want to and my milk supply. Somedays, it seems easier to just pump and give him a bottle, although I've never tried doing that for more than one feeding before. (He does love taking a bottle)
Ideas or suggestions?