Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply please help !!

Default Low milk supply please help !!

Hello All,
    I had my baby girl in my 37th week she was 2 weeks behind and weighed 5lbs 8oz. When she was born she had severe jaundice (had vaginal delivery) and her weight dropped more than 10%. I was breastfeeding her but doctor asked me to suppliment formula as she was too weak to latch on. Later I visited lactation consultant and she saw my baby and the way & time I fed my girl. She was latched on for 20 mins but couldn't drink more than 10ml ( LC weighed her) . So she told me that as she is too small she has poor stamina & need to be supplemented. eventually we gave her formula & I used to pump but my supply reduced quite a bit. I never had a high supply even when i pumped I could never get more than 1-2 Oz. I made a mistake that I did pump regularly , but every feed I would latch my daughter she used to suck for like 40 mins but would still be hungry so finally i decided that atleast she should get stomachful food so we gave her formula now my supply has really gone down.. But I feel guilty that I am not doing good for my daughter as I am not breastfeeding her .. she is going to almost 3 months. I also feel my like earlier my supply is really low. for few days i have just latched her continuously hours with 15-20mins gap in between but that dint help me in increasing supply. can you please help and tell if I can go back to breastfeeding again ? can I somehow increase my supply how often should i pump ?

rummo

Default Re: Low milk supply please help !!

Is it too late to re-start now ? is it possible to make so much milk to satisfy her needs ? as she takes around 3oz each feed.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the baby! It's wonderful that she will still latch on and nurse for such long time periods. I hope that you will continue to nurse her at the breast as often as possible as you work on rebuilding your supply. Pumping in addition to nursing will give you the fastest results, when it comes to rebuilding supply. I suggest pumping at least 8-10 times a day, and more if possible, using a very good double electric pump. A hospital-grade rental pump with correctly sized shields is best. Don't worry if you can't always make it to 8 pump sessions per day- do what you can! Every bit helps.

When you had your baby continuously latched, what did you see in terms of her behavior and diaper output?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Besides pumping another good way to increase supply is lots and lots of skin to skin time. If you can spend a day in bed with baby, you stay topless or in a bra but no shirt, baby stays in just her diaper and you spend the day snuggling and resting. Make someone else bring you food and water in bed, don't think about housework or other responsibilities, make it as relaxing a day as possible.

Thank u for your response. I will try to pump as much as possible. As u asked about behavior while she is latched on she would goto sleep while latched on ( so I feel may be she treating me as a pacifier ) and if I let her go n release myself from latch she would wake up and cry out with hunger ! That's precisely the major reason I put her on formula as I felt u shouldn't be starving her.. :'(

For babies, nursing is for nutrition AND comfort. There's a reason baby falls asleep at the breast: she has a full tummy, she's attached to mommy, and she knows she's safe that way. There is absolutely no harm in baby "using you like a pacifier" - in fact that should be encouraged, especially in your situation when you are trying to re-establish breastfeeding, but really for any nursing mother. And, when you un-latch her, it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have enough milk and she's hungry, it just means she's not happy being taken away from her favorite thing, being on the breast! Again this is a very good sign - you WANT her to love being on the breast!

A baby's eating patterns are very different from an adults. We might eat three large meals a day. A baby has a tiny stomach so baby needs to eat frequent, small meals. Baby might nurse for a little while, fall asleep, wake up again half an hour later, nurse some more - all normal! That's why avensosuelan's suggestion is an excellent one, to just hang out in bed with your shirt off, because it encourages exactly that pattern of nursing, without disruptions from running around and doing this and that.

It's really wonderful baby is nursing, really the best thing now will be for you to nurse, nurse, nurse and nurse some more - and if at some point baby does come off the breast and gives you a free minute, do some pumping - but absolutely the best thing is to simply nurse as much as possible.

How can skin to skin help strengthen your milk supply?

It's all about the happy nursing hormones. The more contact you have with baby the more your body says "yes, this is my offspring, I must nourish her." It also encourages more frequent nursing (baby feels/sees/smells boobies and that helps her want to nurse) which works the supply and demand factor.