Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Induced lactation for mother by surrogacy

Default Induced lactation for mother by surrogacy

Hi everyone! Due to MRKH (I don’t have a uterus, but do have ovaries!) my husband and I are hoping to start our family with the help of a gestational surrogate (still searching for the right one ), and are starting our IVF cycle this summer to retrieve eggs and then freeze the embryos until we find our GC.

I want to learn more about the possibility of breastfeeding my child when that time comes. So I started doing research and several people said I should join the La Leche League.

For the past 5 years I frequently get nipple discharge and swollen dense breasts around the time i ovulate, when it first happened i freaked out and went to my doctor took did tons of blood work (hormones, etc) and even a sonogram of my breasts to make sure it was all ok. Everything came back normal, and the doctors said this is somewhat common and is nothing to worry about. It doesn’t happen every month, but maybe 3-4 times a year. I am not on birth control or any medicine and am a very healthy person on prenatals and CoQ10 for egg production.

I’m wondering if this discharge is a good “sign” that I would be able to induce lactation possibly without medication or minimal medication?

Thank you!!!

Default Re: Induced lactation for mother by surrogacy

Welcome to the forum!

Your situation with the unexplained galactorrhea (the technical term for milk flow in associated with pregnancy or childbirth) is unusual. So much so that I don't even have a guess as to what it says about your chances of inducing lactation without using medication. My gut says that the root cause is going to be really important. I did some googling, and it looks like the most common causes of galactorrhea are hyperprolactinemia (excess production of prolactin) and hypothyroidism (low thyroid function). If hyperprolactinemia were the cause of the galactorrhea, I'd say that your chances of getting milk without using medication would be better than average, since prolactin is the hormone that makes milk and your baseline prolactin level would be higher than average. If the root cause were hypothyroidism, you'd probably have a worse than average chance unless you got the problem under control by taking thyroid replacement hormone, since low thyroid function can impact milk supply. But here's the rub: your docs did tons of bloodwork and still couldn't figure out why you have this issue! So it's probably not caused by either hyperprolactinemia or hypothyroidism.

Basically, I think there's no way to tell whether or not you're in a better position than average when it comes to inducing lactation. But since you're planning on pursuing surrogacy, I think you will be in a better position than many moms who induce lactation, because you will know when your baby will arrive. A lot of moms who induce lactation are adopting, and they often have no idea when or if they will get a baby, and if that baby will be a newborn or an older baby who is already bottle-feeding. You're going to have 9 months to get things squared away, and that's a real asset!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Induced lactation for mother by surrogacy

Congratulations on beginning your journey!

You may consider getting in touch with a lactation consultant through your local hospital for advice catered to your particular circumstance. They may even help you get connected to other mothers in your community who have or are nursing their surrogate. Surrogate mothers can breastfeed, and you will want as much support as is available to get you started.

Good luck- can't wait to hear more from you as you progress!
    Last edited by @llli*twinsforthewin; February 22nd, 2014 at 06:53 AM.