Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night feedings

Default Night feedings

Hi, I have an almost two month old baby. She is doing great with breast feeding! However, I'm a bit concerned about the nighttime feedings because she barely eats! She will usually only feed on one breast and sometimes for only five minutes. I try to wake her but she just won't eat! And she does this even after four hours of sleep! She's doing fine weight wise (she was born 9lbs 6oz and at her first month check up she weighed 11.5 lbs.) My biggest concern is with my milk production. I don't want to have my breast think that she doesn't need milk at night, especially since she only feeds on one breast about every 2.5-4 hours.
    I guess my question is, should I worry and try to control my milk supply by pumping or should I trust that my daughter and my body will figure itself out?
    Also, my daughter is sleeping in the fisher price sleep and play rocker and is now sleeping amazingly! When I had her in her bassinet she would wake very often.. Sometimes every 20 minutes, and not for hunger but because she looked very uncomfortable. At this point she would feed about every 1.5 to 2 hours but still only on one breast each feeding. Needless to say, I'm enjoying being able to get more hours of sleep at night, but my fear is the safety of the rocker. Does anyone have any experience with these rockers?
    Thank you ahead of time for your help!

Default Re: Night feedings

I think if weight gain and diaper count are good I wouldn't worry about it. Your baby and your body working together should keep your supply where it needs to be. If you wake up feeling engorged you could try pumping a little or hand expressing, or wake her up and try feeding her but I wouldn't pump just to keep the supply up, if she isn't eating at night and you try to trick your body into thinking she is I would worry about oversupply.

As far as the rock and play goes, I don't know any actual safety statistics but pretty much everyone I know uses them and I've never heard of anything bad happening.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pmarie818 View Post
    Hi, I have an almost two month old baby. She is doing great with breast feeding! However, I'm a bit concerned about the nighttime feedings because she barely eats! She will usually only feed on one breast and sometimes for only five minutes. I try to wake her but she just won't eat! And she does this even after four hours of sleep! She's doing fine weight wise (she was born 9lbs 6oz and at her first month check up she weighed 11.5 lbs.) My biggest concern is with my milk production. I don't want to have my breast think that she doesn't need milk at night, especially since she only feeds on one breast about every 2.5-4 hours.
    I guess my question is, should I worry and try to control my milk supply by pumping or should I trust that my daughter and my body will figure itself out?
    My baby does the same thing. Night feedings by him are just snacks (yay for us). I woudl definitely not push your daughter to eat more because at this age she will take what she needs. Don't worry about milk production. If she starts requiring more at night, your body will adjust to that need. For now, if you increase need manually (with a pump) without her actually drinking it, you're creating more of a supply than your daughter needs.

I've had the same experience before. If your Lo's weight is normal and she seems fine then I think there's nothing to worry about. Just pump when you feel your breasts are engorged to lessen the pain.

I have a tiny love 3 in 1 rocker and have used it for my baby since she came home. Can't use it past 3 mos tho. I had emailed the company and asked them if it was safe to use from birth for sleeping. It is Also, I never had to feed my baby from both breasts she always has been satisfied from just one until a few days ago. Since then I did it once or twice when she seemed like she wanted it. Just pay attention to what she is asking for or wants is my suggestion. As babies get older, I've read they become more efficient eaters thus can take less time to eat.