Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding from one breast

Default feeding from one breast

So this morning I was feeding my 5 week old son from my right breast and when he delatched himself I saw that I was bleeding from a crack and also have a milk blister. So right now I am feeding from my left side and pumping my right side till it is healed and putting vitamin E on my nipple to help it heal. Since my pump does nit hurt me and cause me to bleed I feed him from a bottle. Luckly he doesn't have nipple troubles. But I am wrried that by not having him on my right side I'm going to not produce much by pumping. Is there any ideas to help making sure that doesn't happen and any ideas to help heal blisters and cracks faster?

Default Re: feeding from one breast

I had a crack in my left nipple right after my LO was born. My LC had me use a shield on just that side. I asked her about just nursing the right and pumping the left and she advised leaving that for a last resort. She said I could end up with oversupply on the right and low supply on the left. A shield can cause its own problems but if baby can already switch from bottle to breast it might be worth considering as an alternative to the pump. Of course it's best to consult an IBCLC before starting a shield.

Of course you also need to be working on correcting whatever caused the crack. Thoughts on what that might have been? How is his latch? Signs of thrush at all? Baby pinching to slow down a heavy flow?

He has a hard suck when he is latched. So I am thinking that's why. And he pulls while sucking so it pinches. I don't really know what caused it. I had one when I first stared breastfeeding him when he was two weeks. He was a early and was in care and was bottle fed my milk and he had nipple confustion when he got home..

Poor positioning and latch-on might be the causes. Try applying warm, wet tea bags to your nipples for a few minutes after nursing. If you want to take mild pain relievers, take Tylenol or Advil before feeding your LO.

If this is a recurring problem I highly recommend you see an IBCLC to work on his latch.

Motherlove nipple ointment was a big help to me. Coconut oil is also an option. I was also told to wash the cracked nipple once/day with a very gentle soap to prevent infection. Expressing some breastmilk onto the nipple after each feeding will also serve as an antibiotic. Whatever ointment you use you should make sure it is safe for baby, and use enough to get a good layer of protection to keep the wound moist as the moisture helps with wound healing.

Hi lyricalwolfe246. Any update? I hope you were able to find something that worked for you.