Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Irregular periods

Default Irregular periods

My son is 14 months old and we still nurse 6-7 times a day and 3-4 times a night. My period returned just 8 weeks after giving birth, but since then it's been very irregular. After that first period the next was 4 months, then 3 months, then 3 weeks, then 5 months. My period was never super regular but always within 5 days one way or another, and nothing like this. I have been taking the mini-pill so I don't know if that affects it. But I stopped taking it (just forgot to refill it) about a month ago, and still no period. My question is, when will my cycle get back to normal? Am I ovulating, or can I stop taking the mini-pill? Im not quite ready for another baby yet, but I do want another one eventually. Just curious when things will go back to normal!
    Jessi, working mom to Pete, born 12/26/12. My little Christmas gift.

Default Re: Irregular periods

My periods returned between 3 and 6 months after birth with each of my babies, but then were irregular for a while too. I think it varies a lot from mom to mom. If you are having periods, though, you should assume you're ovulating and use precautions if you're not quite ready for another yet.

Default Re: Irregular periods

If you're not ready for another baby, I think you need to use some form of contraception. Your baby is older, you've had your period several times. There's every reason to think that your body is ready to make another baby, even though your cycle is currently irregular. My guess is that the mini-pill is what made it appear irregular- one of the most common side-effects of hormonal contraception is scanty or absent periods.

When will your period get back to normal? Really, really hard to say. Everyone is different and you just don't have enough data on which to base a conclusion. If you want to get that data, I'd start charting your basal body temperature and other fertility signs. If you've never done that before, pick up a copy of Toni Weschler's book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility"- it's a terrific primer.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"