Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to drink water to have let down

Default Need to drink water to have let down

A few months ago, when DD was about 16 mo, I was finding that I wasn't having let downs and DD was getting quite frustrated like one of the moms in a previous thread was saying. This would happen even though I apparently had plenty of milk at the ready. I have been wanting to post this for a while and didn't want to make this a reply to because it would seem to simplistic to say - drink more water!

When this started happening a few months ago, I remembered what my friend told me when I told her about my failed breast pumping experience when DD was about one (I tried for an hour and never had a LD or got anything but sore nipples). She said that in order to pump any milk she would have to drink a lot of water, a whole lot. So I tried it and it works, almost instantly. I drink down a good few lugs of water, which feels good, and makes me feel satiated and relaxed, and snap! I have LD.

As you can imagine this can be pretty disruptive at night although we always keep a bottle to hand. But also it's pretty frustrating if in the day I don't have any to hand, and I sit there not having LD and feeling more and more thirsty and anxious. It's normally fine to interrupt, at her age DD just carries on where we left off. Still I find this quite annoying.

Does it mean that I am dehydrated most of the time and my body doesn't want to release the milk because it would have to use more fluid to make more? Do other moms have a similar experience, has anything they've done helped?

Default Re: Need to drink water to have let down

I do drink a lot of water, though I've found I've needed to not drink as much after a year. I know that water intake does directly correlate to my ability to let down in the pump so I've just made it a habit to never have an empty water bottle. But then I've almost found eating enough to be more important because it keeps my energy up and that probably helps let down as well.
    We and with our little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zoi View Post

Does it mean that I am dehydrated most of the time and my body doesn't want to release the milk because it would have to use more fluid to make more? Do other moms have a similar experience, has anything they've done helped?
    I had some pretty severe letdown issues, my daughter is 14 months old. For me, I finally figured out that most of the time I was nursing I was extremely stressed. Once that stress was gone, I rarely ever had a problem letting down anywhere, in public, in any location at any time. Before when the stress was there, it was awful, I had to nurse in one specific spot with many letdown cues (it sounds like yours is a glass of water) and even then sometimes it took 5 min.

It sounds to me (just my opinion!) that you created a letdown cue with the water drinking. You said you drink the water and then boom, letdown. It sounds like your letdown doesn't function without that cue at this point?

In your post I read that drinking water feels good to you, and then you relax and then your milk flows. Relaxation is huge. A positive perception of nursing is huge. The only thing that worked for me was to take away what was negative about nursing for me, which was that my daughter refused to nurse anywhere but the bedroom until about 9 months old! In our apartment anyway. Once she was agreeable to nursing in other spots and while my older child could sit with us, my stress went away, and my letdown cue became her, instead of the environment. We were at my friend's house today, and we nursed just fine even though I felt like my friend was uncomfortable that I was nursing...my cue was my daughter so letdown went fine.

If you want to ditch the water drinking cue, I think you might have to replace it with something else...sorry if that sounds weird, and maybe I'm wrong. Just speaking as someone who had lots of issues with this! I would also recommend just saying to yourself that it's ok if letdown doesn't happen! It's okay for this moment, this day, etc. If you are sitting there waiting for it I think it will make things worse. I finally made peace with myself about the whole thing and things just sort of took care of themselves.
    and Mama to two little girls

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*karrieperry View Post
    It sounds to me (just my opinion!) that you created a letdown cue with the water drinking. You said you drink the water and then boom, letdown. It sounds like your letdown doesn't function without that cue at this point?
    It really sounds like you conditioned yourself to let down when you have a glass of water. And when you don't have the water- stress, followed by a letdown that won't happen.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have similar experience. Not that I have issues with LD, but I do notice that when I drink water, after a few sips, I have let down, this is while nursing of course! Without water, baby has to wait a minute for it!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Thanks all that makes sense, probably a cue then. It's good to know I could probably let go of it. Then again I've always had a thing about having a bottle of water about so it might be a hard one for me personally to kick.

You all just made me thirsty!
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.

I am having such letdown issues! My daughter has gone on repeated nursing strikes for the last 8 months and it has made nursing SOOO stressful for me that I struggle to letdown when I nurse. I have no problems letting down for my pump because I know it isn't going to pop off and start crying and then refuse to nurse. So, I am trying lots of options to try and help my letdown. Do you drink the water while the baby is latched on? Or right before? Sometimes, even when I am VERY full in the mornings the letdown can take 2-3 minutes (only 40 seconds with pump) and I feel so anxious that whole time wonder will I let down, or will she pop off crying any moment? It's not fun. For either of us. Willing to try this trick if there's any chance it might help.

I think the mums who replied this post were right that drinking water is my cue for a let down. I think it's my cue because I have always been anxious about being dehydrated. I never leave the house without a bottle of water, and feel anxious sleeping without one right next to me. I have always been this way or at least since my 20's. I just feel more relaxed when I feel hydrated. So this has translated into an anxiousness I feel if I am breastfeeding and feeling dehydrated. So if I am BF and feel in the least thirsty I don't have a let down and when I drink water I relax and have a let down. This is mostly at night and not all times and usually I do pick up the bottle (always at arms length) if DD is latched on and has been suckling for more than half a minute and nothing's happening.

As someone suggested I think it's the relaxing part that's most important. Maybe water will help or maybe it will be something else for you and your daughter. It sounds very hard but I don't think it's uncommon. I've heard this from other mums and we had lots of issues like you are describing. I don't think I felt like everything was really established until DD was about 9 months old. I'm not sure what it was that helped but I remember being really upset about it. There was a time when she would not nurse properly unless I lay down in bed with her. I always thought that mirrored her first experiences of nursing and was a nice way to strengthen our nursing bond. Also I think I finally admitted that at that point we needed privacy. I hadn't wanted to admit to myself that I was uncomfortable nursing around some of my formula feeding friends. I knew they were uncomfortable and I wanted to make a point of it. Ultimately, I decided what mattered was that neither me or my baby were comfortable so I had to take it into the private arena. But after a while that was no longer necessary I think mainly because I relaxed - I was just proud of our BF relationship and truly no longer cared what anyone thought about it. Now I do make a point of breastfeeding anywhere, and neither me or DD feel uncomfortable

I think it may just take longer for some to establish a strong breastfeeding relationship. Relax you've come this far, I'm sure you get there in time!

I keep myself hydrated too especially before going on a trip w/ my DD. I'm glad you and your baby are working it out fine.