Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5-day old only nursing for 5-7 min per side

Default 5-day old only nursing for 5-7 min per side

Hello everyone,

When I had my first baby in 2011, I spent a lot of time seeking help on these boards (my son had tongue-tie, refused to nurse, I EP'd for 6+ weeks before finally getting him to EBF). I am happy to see some familiar "faces" still here - thank you for your help last time around!

I just delivered my second son last Saturday. He is 5 days old. So far our breastfeeding experience has been night-and-day from the first time. My baby does not fight me at the breast at all. His latch could use some improvement but we are working on it.

My milk came in fully around day 3 this time. Since then, I have noticed that baby will only stay on the breast 5-7 minutes at a time... and often only takes one breast before falling asleep for 2-3 hours. I know I have a TON of milk because I am very engorged and when baby finishes nursing he always has milk all over his face. I just can't help but worry over his short nursing times. Is this normal for a baby this young?

I know in the back of my mind it probably is OK... but our first weight check is not until tomorrow so I am just looking for some reassurance. I have always heard that some babies are quick nursers, but I would have expected that in much older babies, not one only 5 days old!
    Last edited by @llli*fujiapple; February 20th, 2014 at 11:27 AM.

Default Re: 5-day old only nursing for 5-7 min per side

How many wet and soiled diapers are you seeing?

Here's his diaper output so far:

Wet Diapers:

Birth day = 0
    1 day old = 3
    2 days old = 2
    3 days old =4
    4 days old = 5
    Today = 2 (it is 9:30am here)

Poopy Diapers:

Birth day = 0 (but pooped a ton of meconium in the womb and on his way out all over my OB)
    1 day old = 0
    2 days old = 2
    3 days old =1
    4 days old = 1
    Today = 1

Am I worrying over nothing?

Also, I was wondering about his poops. They are still medium brown color with a greenish tinge, and kind of slimy (not sticky like meconium)... they have not yet changed to the yellow/seedy non-stinky variety that I was used to with my first baby.

And his farts are REALLY stinky, like rotten eggs. Is this normal? He has not had a drop of anything other than breast milk straight from the boob since birth.

Nursing times vary widely even at the earliest ages. When mom has a ton of milk, a baby is more likely to feed quickly, because the more milk there is, the faster it tends to come out. Babies whose moms have significant oversupply often complete a feed in as little as 5-10 minutes.

According to kellymom.com, by day 4 you're looking to see 6 or more wet diapers per day, and 3-4 poops, which should be the size of a US quarter or larger. (Don't forget to count the poopy diapers in the tally of wets, since most babies pee when they poop.) Meconium should be gone by day 5. By that standard, it sounds like your baby's output may be just a tiny hair low, especially since the medium-brown color makes me think you're still seeing transitional stools (i.e. poops that still have some meconium in them).

Basically what I am thinking is this: today is day 5 so today's the day to be looking for the 3-4 poops and 6 wets. If baby makes it to that standard, awesome, no need to worry. If he doesn't, I think I would want to try to wake him a little more often to nurse and see if anything changes. Instead of letting him sleep for 2-3 hours, maybe try to wake him after 2. If you do that and nothing changes, at that point I'd want to call the LC and maybe stop by the pediatrician's office and pop baby on the scale.

My gut says that everything is fine, but I'm glad you're keeping an eye on this! Let us know how things go.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok thanks for the suggestions and info! I will try waking him every 2 hours during the day to eat. Maybe even every 1.5 hours. I'll let him sleep longer stretches at night. Depending on what we find out at his doc appt tomorrow I might adjust that. He only lost 2% of his birthweight upon discharge from the hospital on Monday, which was great they said.

Just an update - Today baby had 7 wet diapers (so far - it is only 6:22pm), and 2 poops. The last poop was the yellow/seedy BF poop I have been waiting for from him, no more brown-greenish slimy poop. Yay!

It still smelled like rotten eggs though. :/

Yay for yellow poops!!! I'd consider the smelly toots a minor annoyance by comparison!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"