Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how often should i be pumping?

Default how often should i be pumping?

How often would I want to pump my non-dominant breast. My DD doesn't take it and I'm really frustrated being lopsided. Especially when people @ work are noticing? Do i pump everytime she eats off the other side?
    TIA!
    Last edited by LindusandGrace; November 28th, 2006 at 03:31 PM. Reason: baaaaaaaaad spelling.. oops
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Default Re: how often should i be pumping?

How old is Gracie? Has she always rejected one breast, or is this something new?

Many moms find that an adjustment by a chiropractor who specializes in treating babies can help in situations where baby nurses well on one breast but rejects the other.

As to your pumping question, you could certainly try pumping that side every time you nurse your daughter. It may not completely solve the lopsidedness problem, since babies are a lot better at milking the breast than pumps are, but it would at least help a little. I'm assuming you are pumping both breasts at work?

HTHTiana

Gracie is 9 weeks old now! She never really liked that side at the beginning but now she has no intrest in it at all. Im assuming it's because it doesn't make nearly the same amount of milk as the other one. ( when pumping 3x a day i get maybe 3oz out of the non-dominant side) Its the only side I can really pump since shes always eating off the other one and I dont want to make the size difference any more bigger! Not sure what i should do?
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

When my DD was born, she definitely favored one side. However, I eventually got her to take the other side by constantly switching up the way I was holding her on both sides.

She still had a favorite side, but will now take both.

As far as pumping, I would at least pump every time you feed her. Massaging the breast also helps me get more milk during my pumping sessions.

[My daughter is 11 days old now and am BFing... i pump my breasts once every evening and that is enough. I use the bottle BF during the night as i find (at the moment) that its less time consuming...(but still dont sleep very much in the night)..

I just empty once a day to release the pain of full breasts before i lay down to sleep...if i sleep in my sides, i will wake up on my leakage so i have to do this method..